1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What’s your net worth?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Apr 10, 2022.

?

What’s your net worth?

1. <250k

23.5%
  2. 250-500k

20.6%
  3. 501-999k

14.7%
  4. 1 million

11.8%
  5. 2-4 million

23.5%
  6. >4 million

5.9%
  1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

More than 4M ...
    ...yen

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Not much for me but a fair bit for my dependents, if they play it right.
    Of course there could be another plague, or a submoron president.
    'The careful plans of mice and men . . .'

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My two great regrets:

I didn't start buying Tribune Company stock at the 15 percent employee discount during the entire time it was a public stock (my first 23 years there). Only did so over my last 8 years.
    I didn't start contributing 15 percent to the 401(k) when I was 25 (contributed 4-6 percent for 20 years, and 15-19 percent for 15 years).

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

In my 15 or so years in the family-owned newspaper business, I could only afford to contribute about 6% because I needed the rest to live on. What I did contribute was horribly mismanaged by the family. Since I freed myself from being an indentured servant, rolled it into a retirement account overseen by someone who knows what he's doing, the same money has more than quadrupled.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I got offered AOL stock when I worked for Patch, but never bought it. "Why would I want AOL stock in 2012?" Well, because they still controlled a bunch of patents, and the dial-up industry in Canada and some other places, apparently. The stock went up and split while I was there, I believe, and I had 0 shares of it.

My wife works for Shell, and as a perk, she gets to buy stock once a year at a discount. She can then immediately sell it, and usually pockets an immediate 5 to 10 percent gain, which goes right back into her index fund. Not bad at all.

garrow likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I suspect very few of us maxed out while young and in journalism. I know I didn’t.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Plus any potential real estate in Ukraine.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sigh. We could have owned half of a nice flat in Krivoy Rog, but wife signed away her half to her brother, with whom she hasn't spoken in seven years.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I'm right about 215k (home, 401K, Roth) and I'm in my 40s. Didn't really start saving until my late 20s and even then it wasn't more than 3-4 percent until early 30s. Big mistake, obviously.

Hoping to double or triple that by the time I'm 65. I don't plan on retiring. I'll probably croak off late 60s and still working full-time. Then my son will get the loot.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've had what our lawyer says is an unfortunate inheritance. I'd give it all up to have the four of them back.

FileNotFound and ChrisLong like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

None of your goddamn fucking business.

Draft saved Draft deleted