1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times seeking Kraken/NHL reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by paulbarrett, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

We don’t know, but I’m pretty sure she didn’t fabricate a story about Portnoy or Barstool.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

no dog in the fight here but the thing BS claims was fabricated is explained in the Tweet earlier in the thread and was deleted from the Vice story in question.

Was it pure fabrication or something out of context or confusion? Don’t know. But something did get removed from a story over it, so that part did occur.

Was also almost a year before the Kraken launched so it shouldn’t have any bearing on that job

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In Portnoy v. the field, including Satan, I’m taking the field.

Then again I’m a failed journalist and David Portnoy is probably sitting on an eight- or nine-figure portfolio.

Mngwa likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When's the last time Seattle fired a sportswriter with 2 weeks or less left on the probation period?

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was a factor, but it is curious that the Times fired her on the same day she sent this tweet.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From the Defector story:

Gillespie said she can’t remember any reporter being fired during this period during her tenure. Other Times reporters with start dates reaching back a decade could only remember the clause being used to fire one other employee (who got in a verbal altercation in the newsroom) and that person was fired much earlier than the six month mark. Former employees of the Times also confirmed that they cannot remember anyone being fired for their level of writing ability in the past decade. Several reporters told me one thing they liked about the Times was how it felt like an encouraging place to learn and grow.

I Should Coco and Songbird like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's not exactly a groundbreaking SJW take. And that's in line with what I've seen in her Twitter feed. Agree or disagree, her bosses knew what they were getting — and I guess that's my point. If an employer doesn't do due diligence in 2022, it's on them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Kraken is in town tonight. I doubt there will be much buzz about this in half-filled Honda Center.

9. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

And Ms. Ingemi knew she was taking a personal and financial risk moving across the country for a job. She knew there was a six-month probationary period. It goes both ways. She should have thought about those things before taking the job.

cjericho, Tarheel316 and RARist like this.
  10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The general expectation, though, is that if you're doing good work the rug won't be pulled out from underneath.

She had something like 200 bylines in six months, so she obviously wasn't lazy. She included coverage of women's hockey and UW gymnastics, so it doesn't seem like she was refusing other assignments. Her bylines include features, gamers, notebooks, breaking news briefs, etc.

We're all aware of the callous nature of the business, but usually there is a reason behind those heartless decisions. Job gets unexpectedly frozen. Sudden layoffs.

If the Seattle Times was going down to one beat writer on the Kraken and as the last hired person, Ingemi was the one laid off, that would be a reason. It'd be a shitty one, but there would be one.

But she seems to have done everything right. She produced a steady stream of content. Her writing seems fine. She had engagement on social media. Nothing she said on social media was out of the ordinary for 2021-22.

That's why there is an uproar, including from her peers.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Yes, it is very rare to lose a job in this manner yet Marisa still did it. That should tell you a lot.
    Also, if they are going down one Kraken reporter why do we even have this thread when it is for a Kraken reporter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's the most vague post of the year.

A little context would be nice.

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted