1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

NOOOOOO! Say it's not so!

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Not really about The Athletic except for the premise, but I wasn't sure where to put it so this will do.
    Jay Mariotti has lots and lots of thoughts:
    THE ATHLETIC WANTED TO DO A PROFILE ABOUT ME — UNTIL IT DIDN’T

(Hadn't thought about Jay in ages until the other day when I thought I saw him. That led me to wondering what became of him ... and that led me to his substack. This part was especially interesting to me because we both worked at AOL FanHouse and covered those Vancouver Olympics together, and it's the first I've heard of something so bizarre. Perhaps other FanHouse survivors can clarify it:
    Jay wrote: "I'll never forget being ordered to take a red-eye flight to northern Virginia, where I was asked by an AOL security guy/former FBI agent why my editor hadn't filled out company travel forms for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Uh, you wasted my time and your money on something that could have been asked over the phone? They were trying to get rid of my boss, and I refused to cooperate.")

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Stunning to me that there’s no job in sports journalism for the man who predicted the rise of digital AND invented The Athletic.

And, yes, those are “lots and lots of thoughts.”

SixToe and gingerbread like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is just a tangent. Jay was talked about so much here long ago.

It appears the first reference to him here at SJ was on 6/8/06 courtesy of JBHawkEye:

In some ways Jay Mariotti is the arc of the newspaper and sportswriting business the last 15 years.

gingerbread likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

tl/dr: still needs counseling

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My god, that guy is insufferable.

7. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

That was a great, might even say refreshing, read. And the guy can still write.

motorsportwriter likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd be interested to know why that story got killed. Unless The Athletic promoted it, and even then, it would probably still only get 1/10th the traffic of the daily "where is Aaron Rodgers going to go?" story. What's the big whoop?

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, except for the domestic assault.

2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Holy shit, what the hell was that?

"I'm surprised how little I cared," he wrote in words 6,813, 6,814, 6,815, 6,816, 6,817 and 6,818 of a 6,883-word BLOGGGGGG about how The Athletic did but didn't profile him.

matt_garth likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jonah Keri says hi.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Jays.

Fdufta likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted