1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WANTED: New hometown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Seems like you need to figure out the “what” question and not the “where” question. If you can solve the “what” then the “where” should fall into place.

I’ve gotta say, even if it isn’t in journalism, it seems like you’re a storyteller at heart. And even though I’ve never been west of the food court at Love Field, LA seems like an incredible place to find stories. I think you can find contentment for a while there, even if it is just long enough to serve out a lease.

tea and ease, Tighthead and wicked like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

During yesterday morning's walk down Robertson at the corner of Airdrome.

Who knows, maybe little Chaim here grows up to be the Orthodox Air Jordan.

20211204_075755(0) (1).jpg

maumann likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Songbird, your pictures are amazing. @dixiehack is right.

In a similar situation here. People around me started fleeing the country in 2016. I want to leave, but I'm not sure where to go. I do not recommend Nashville or anyplace in this area for that matter unless you are extremely wealthy or married with children and extremely Christian.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I really thought this guy was going to be the Jewish Jordan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I should have hit you up Friday night. I was in town. Honestly, I was happy to be there totally alone. I had a bunch of friends coming in from across the state for the same meeting, but I didn't make contact until Saturday morning because I wanted solitude. It's strange that I found it at the Nashville Bierhaus and Bass Pro.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks. To dixiehack's point, it's not the what or the where but a need to go. I have an idea I'll hit the road after coming back from Paris.

Went for a walk in Hollywood early in the week. Stumbled upon Prince, Amanda, and Shaq.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I had to google Licorice Pizza. I didn't know MGM was still in business as a moviemaker.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Times, Variety, Hollywood Reporter and lots of others all have openings.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/journalist-jobs-los-angeles-ca/

Lots of non-profits working down on Skid Row have openings for writers and photographers. State, county and city welfare services, too.

You're there.

Find a reason to stay.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You made me do a Google search to figure out what happened to him. After one year at Towson, went to Israel to play professionally and blew out both knees.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hell, those photos would inspire anyone to create a coffee table book about the hidden side of L.A. Gorgeous. Great eye for detail and composition.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My wife, who grew up there, would vote San Diego. As would I. But I love me some Astoria, Ore., too.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

@Songbird I'd add to this list the "why" question. You're obviously not happy in L.A., but why? I think answering that question will lead you toward the answers to "what" and "where."
    Is it a personal or family issue? Is it the economics of Los Angeles? Is it the overall environment of L.A. and California in general? Some combination of it all?

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted