1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tiger could (and likely did) make insane money playing exhibitions. Nobody would begrudge him his golf legacy. It'll be a long time before, if ever, we see another like him.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. He is the second greatest golfer of all time (well, maybe T-2 with Bobby Jones) and I feel fortunate beyond measure to have covered him at his most amazing major win, the 2000 Open at Pebble. I hope he prospers no matter what his future. I hope even more he's able to erase that wild dark side that's ruined so much of his life, be it tawdry one-nighters or going 80 on a 30 mph road.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Still, I'd like to know what he paid Rachel Uchitel $10 million not to talk about!

Also, I just discovered the series of instructional films Bobby Jones shot in 1931 which were unavailable for decades. Highly recommended.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We’ll always have April, 2019

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If/when he's ready, it will be Phil, not Tiger, that replaces Sir Nick in the CBS tower.

Chef2 likes this.
  6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think Nantz would love it to happen tomorrow, but that PGA for Phil this year likely means a few more years of serious play. Plus Saudi money coming into play.

I do wonder id golf is a big enough property that they can pay Phil enough to make it worth his while.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Googles say he makes $40-$50 mil a year in endorsements alone, so any TV money would be a blip for him. But he loves to hear himself talk and the booth would keep him relevant once he can't compete on Sundays. Can't ever imagine Tiger wanting to talk that much, though needless to say he'd have a chair if he wanted it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given the pivot to a gambling focus in so many sports, Phil's insight there would be valuable too.

9. playthrough

That would be interesting. The PGA Tour wants to be all-in on betting but their suits would pass out if Phil went on a broadcast and said that the guy leading a tournament was sure to blow it, so bet the chasers.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think the biggest obstacle to him taking the job would be having someone else dictate his schedule. Phil would want to do the big events. I’m not sure you could pay him enough to do the lesser events on the CBS schedule.

11. playthrough

True. He's definitely not going to Quad Cities. I don't think Faldo does either, but Phil would surely want an even smaller schedule than Sir Nick's.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Sir Nick takes some tournaments off.

Looking at last year's CBS schedule, they've got 20 events this year (more next year when it gets all three rounds of the playoffs). Seems like remembering from last year, Sir Nick took off at least five of those weeks (CBS has pretty much the same lineup this year as last). Certainly between the U.S. Open and The Open (Detroit, Minnesota, John Deere).

Draft saved Draft deleted