1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021-22 College Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, Pac-12 moved to 20. They might as well have gone the whole way to 22 for a true round robin.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Turgeon fired at Maryland. Danny Manning is the interim HC

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? They lost to Mason. Ok. Other losses are to University-6 and the Hokies, both of which are good.
    Last 3 full seasons: 36-24 in the Big Ten. Is there really a problem here?

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

It's incredible that they force out Turgeon and keep a POS like Locksley.

heyabbott and tapintoamerica like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

There is nothing awful about losing to this Hokie team. We’re not talking about history. This is the here and now.
    Absurd. Unless there’s something we don’t know about.
    Only December firing (among top programs) that I can remember off top of my head is UCLA with Alford. But he has been underachieving for years.

8. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Maryland's fans have been disgruntled with Turgeon seemingly from Day One, I think in great part because he's wasn't Gary Williams, even though Turgeon's results were just about the same as Williams's post-title results.

Williams (post-title): 1 Sweet 16, four second-round NCAA losses
    Turgeon at Maryland: 1 Sweet 16, three second-round NCAA losses, one first-round loss

Then again, Williams also became quite polarizing to Maryland fans late in his career there. He basically ceded the talent-rich DC recruiting area to the nation's other blue bloods and refused to associate with the recruiting world's seedier characters, and Maryland became a pretty unexceptional program as a result. The fans loved him for the title but many also thought he was becoming something of a stubborn dinosaur. Knowing all that, I think the expectations for Turgeon -- that he not only replace a Maryland legend but get the program back to where it was an annual second- and third-weekend NCAA tournament team -- were impossibly high. That Turgeon almost annually couldn't get Maryland past the second round despite a good amount of talent greatly aggrieved that fan base, especially when the school kept giving him contract extensions.

The scuttlebutt from reporters on Twitter who would know such things is that Turgeon finally had had enough with the fans' negativity toward him -- they apparently got pretty vicious during the Virginia Tech loss, which took place on a night they were honoring Len Bias -- and that he felt there wasn't much he could do to change their minds. Maryland says it will honor the terms of his buyout ($5 million) even though he's technically resigning, which suggests to me that he came to them and said: "Look, this isn't fun anymore for anyone. I'll walk away now with a paycheck, you get a huge jump on a new hire, the fans/boosters finally get their scalp, what's not to like?"

By many accounts, Turgeon is a pretty good guy, and he survived 10-plus years in that athletic department, which is one of the most dysfunctional in the country no matter who is charge. Seems as if he just had enough.

Hermes, Batman, heyabbott and 3 others like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

That sounds legit to me.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They just extended him through 25-26 SIX MONTHS AGO and now pay $5 million to get rid of him.

11. tapintoamerica

This is why @Hot and Rickety strikes me as being on to something. Maybe Turgeon really is fed up.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God forbid a SWAC team not look sharp during the annual guarantee game death march through the Top 25.

Draft saved Draft deleted