1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not saying that anything that Hindenburg put out there was wrong. ... and that got a lot of attention when they put that out. But Hindenburg is not really in the business of doing research. They have a short position in DraftKings, and their MO is to put out those reports, which try to sensationalize and overstate a negative case, in order to try to depress the stock price.

A few things that came out when Hindenburg published that. ... I saw some reputable analysts saying that SBTech was more like 10 percent of DraftKings' total revenue, not the 25 percent that report was suggesting. Also, the rationale for the SBTech acquisition wasn't to bring on customers (shady or otherwise) from Asia. So even if SBTech had something shady in its past, it wouldn't be anything significant on an ongoing basis for DraftKings. They were buying the technology SBTech had, to integrate it into DraftKings' operations. The customers were relatively meaningless to them. As for the black market stuff, also. ... DraftKings has been looked at by all of the state regulatory gaming commissions that are allowing sports gambling, and nothing about what Hindenburg alleged has come out or prevented DraftKings from operating in the U.S.

That SPAC deal was ridiculous, the valuation (for a company that is bleeding cash) was ridiculous, and the acquisitions the company has been doing are exactly the kind of malinvestment you are seeing right now with how cheap and plentiful money has been made in the lending markets. It's really difficult to short a stock like that, though, because the Fed can blow the bubble bigger and longer than most people can stay solvent waiting for the it to pop. Hindenburg puts out "research" reports like that in an effort to help things along. They may be right on the big picture -- that the stock is ridiculously overvalued -- but you can't ever take the sensational stuff of wrong doing they publish entirely on faith without you or someone else investigating it independently.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

If The Athletic gets bought by DraftKings does that mean we instead get columns about the quality of the hot dogs at the Mohegan Sun food court?

Woody Long and wicked like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Damn, just reupped for a year at like $21.50. Oh, well, only $9.50 more.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Damn, don't even get a phone with that sub?

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Athletic shuffled some hockey writers. which may now mean the Devils are not covered by any traveling beats.

I find it hard to believe there aren't qualified outside writers in San Jose and the metro NYC area, so this seems like a classic example of a company shuffling the deck from within and not adding any new staff as it preps for a sale/downsizing. But maybe I'm just a cynic!

(Also they are STILL DOING THE NEW BEATS LETTER, we beg of you to stop that)

7. The Big Ragu

This has been frustrating. They had Rick Carpiniello covering the Rangers to start the season. I personally didn't think he was as good as some of his competitors, but at least there was coverage. The guy was doing his job.

Then he retired as the season was starting to get going. And they have had Arthur Staple sort of trying to cover the Rangers while already covering the Islanders. I like his work, but it was working out as well as you'd imagine, with very little Rangers coverage. He's a Long Island guy. And it's been sad, because the Rangers got off to a good start and have been interesting.

Now, in comes Shayna Goldman. She used to write for a Rangers blog I look at sometimes. From what I know, I'm not very hopeful that she is up to the task. But I hope she surprises me.

At the same time, I find Lindsey Adler's Yankees coverage really weak, which you'd think would be a major beat.

If the Athletic grows to what they have built into their valuation, it goes without saying that they have to execute and deliver a really good product. As in content has to be king. I realize my experience with a few of the teams I want to read about is an N=1, but it feels to me at least too that the quality is dropping. I think NY may be tough in particular, because even though the tabloids and the Times are not what they used to be, the sports coverage elsewhere is still really good. And the Athletic hasn't gotten seasoned people who can match up.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What do you find weak about Adler? She seems to be a darling of the online media critic class, I am surprised to hear that the work isnt great

9. The Big Ragu

Maybe it's a stylistic thing. Her work comes across to me like a blogger who is trying to cover a beat. Just not what I am looking for. I compare her to Dan Martin, Ken Davidoff, Brendan Kuty, Erik Boland, even Bryan Hoch and I just find her weak.

At least she is covering the team, unlike the hockey coverage I was complaining about. And it's a bit unfair on my part, because I typically get turned off by people critiquing others on here anonymously, so I now regret having gone there.

My criticism is also coming from someone who has never covered a major sports beat for a daily and who knows he wouldn't have been able to do it very well if he had ever tried. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

On the Rangers coverage, I do stand by what I said. That beat has really been neglected; it's not just a matter of "I don't think this writer is very good."

Sports Barf and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its worth discussing, for all the praise that gets thrown people’s way if they’re not doing the meat and potatoes stuff it shouldnt feel dirty to say so out loud

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I worked alongside Brendan Kuty at Patch, and he was a good co-worker. How he went from Patch to Yankee beat writer in a year was amazing.

12. The Big Ragu

Lohud / the NJ paper have some hidden gems in sports. Vince Mercogliano is another one in addition to Kuty. They are probably around the same age. Maybe not the most talented writers, or even the most insightful, but they work those beats and they are prolific. @JimmyHoward33 called it the meat and potatoes work. Those guys really do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted