1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good for Lincoln High. One class on “ Similarity “? That’s it??

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He does if his name is put out there by Carson Palmer.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Stephen A says its racial, and if that dumbmotherfucking homophobic, misogynistic mental little person screams it’s racist, that settles it.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Absolutely he gets asked. I think what he was objecting to (and YMMV) was how seriously people were taking it as a possibility rather than dismissing it without hearing it from either him or the school. I think Reid gets asked, but it would be more along the lines of "care to comment on Carson Palmer connecting you to the USC job?" knowing Reid wouldn't accept it.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m curious as to how Bill Cowher would’ve reacted to the same question c. 2000, when USC was about to whack Paul Hackett. I don’t think the answer would’ve been all that different.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Urban Meyer was asked. Wasn't Pete Carroll asked about going back to USC?

7. Spartan Squad

Urb makes sense because he is a long time college coach who is floundering in his first year in the pros. See also Nick Saben.

Carroll makes sense because he would be ushered in like a conquering hero and his team isn’t great this year. See also Harbaugh

But Tomlin other than Palmer talking out of his ass and some other boosters thinking they just have to mention a band and it will happen, how does he make sense? He has a pro job that won’t fire him where he just signed an extension. He doesn’t have any real connection to Southern California. The gig won’t post as well. He has to rehab a program in a fading conference. Recruiting. Why would he do it and why did people think he would?

8. MileHigh

Which makes it a fair question to Tomlin. Palmer talked about it on a national show. That's why he was asked, not because he is Black. And Tomlin shot it down with a nuclear bomb.

9. Spartan Squad

No I agree you ask. I said above I think the real thing that got Tomlin hot and implying the racism was how seriously some people took it. There was zero reason to think Palmer wasn’t talking out of his ass. The questions and reactions should have reflected that until there was a real reason to take it seriously.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. MileHigh

I don't think Palmer was talking out of his ass. He's a former USC Heisman-winning quarterback. They're seeking his input. They're putting together a pie-in-the-sky wish list. I'm sure Nick Saban has been mentioned. They are throwing every name at the wall and seeing what sticks. As well they should.

Behind closed doors.

Palmer let it slip on mentioning Tomlin. Even in the DP interview, he said, "Whoops" knowing he F'd up on it.

Again, it's a pie-in-the-sky list. Tomlin never sought it out nor is there any indication Tomlin's team reached out to express interest.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ville-georgia-trials-justice-system-race.html

"Another potential Black juror, who said she hoped she could be fair, was struck because according to Chris Cantwell—one of the white supremacists defending himself—“she seems to be very concerned about race. … She is worried about racism in all categories except against white people.” Yet a prospective juror who described Black Lives Matter as “a sham … lie-filled, I believe it to be strictly motivated toward unfair goals and nothing more than a bunch of people trying to take advantage” will be permitted to serve."

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

An ELEMENTARY school in Vermont went into lockdown mode when a student said racism.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted