1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Big deal. Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken frickin’ neck.

It’s true.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to tell Charlie Morton that he’s allowed to take care of himself.

HOUSTON -- Inside the training room of the visiting clubhouse at Minute Maid Park during Game 1 of the World Series, friends kept dropping by to apologize to Atlanta Braves pitcher Charlie Morton for his misfortune. His response to them, and to others who reached out and wished him well after a comebacker broke his leg, was the same: "I'm sorry."

The guy who wore a 102-mph shot off his right fibula in the second inning was sorry. The guy who worked through the pain to face three more batters -- and retire all of them -- was sorry. The guy who pushed himself so far that his leg quite literally gave out under the stress of his effort was sorry.

"And if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about Charlie Morton," Atlanta star Freddie Freeman said, "I'm not sure what does."
    Charlie Morton threw 16 pitches on a broken leg -- and then apologized it wasn't more

maumann likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And contrast that with Scherzer who (justifiably) shut himself down before Game 6 because his arm was tired and didn’t want to ruin next year. Morton didn’t want to ruin this series got his team. Much respect for him. And yeah I guess I’m throwing shade at Scherzer but there’s nothing wrong with saying he can’t go if you’re not going to help your team but I love guys who give what they can until they literally can’t. Morton went until his leg buckled.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want guys to permanently hurt themselves but the desire you want to keep going is huge.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Whatever. The fibula is not weight bearing.

Read about how Sandy Koufax pitched through horrifying arm issues.

Also, Morton was part of the worst baseball scandal since the Black Sox, so he can fuck off.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, Jack Youngblood to the courtesy phone.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Youngblood
    One of the athletic feats for which Youngblood is best known, is that of playing in the 1979 playoffs, including Super Bowl XIV, with a fractured left fibula.[41][42] He also played in the 1980 Pro Bowl with the injured leg, a week after the Super Bowl.

maumann likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m still going all in on getting go your nutsack stitched up on the sideline, on TV for bonus points, and re-entering the game to play one of the absolute all time dirtiest rugby teams.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Schilling, even though I think the limping around was a bit of an act.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Didn't Patrice Bergeron play with a punctured lung in the playoffs recently? Hockey players are a different breed

Draft saved Draft deleted