1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 21, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

it’ll somehow intertwine daddies too.

playthrough likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UAB has the coach it needs. Bill Clark isn’t perfect but he’s pretty damn good and seems to have realized he’s in the niche that suits him perfectly. Getting a coach who is self-aware enough not to screw with happy is a rare thing.

Supposedly Clark did go to Saban a few years ago right before the program was shut down and Saban in turn made a couple of calls to trustees to see if they couldn’t save the program. They wouldn’t budge.

Semi-related, I got to be in a Q & A that Anthony Grant did for AT&T employees after his first season as a sponsor thank you event. He was asked about playing UAB and diplomatically tapped danced but made it clear that he was not allowed to schedule that game.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, the SEC gods are in Bama's hip pocket, so . . . same thing. :)

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is good information. Thank you. But Nick could still overrule the trustees if he really wanted to. There's just not much in it for him except sportsmanship, which doesn't pay the bulls.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Either way it would be a fun little romp.

As for Songbird U's team, USC is dead.

Even harmed UAB would hang with USC.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Board of Trustees | Office of the Chancellor | University of Pittsburgh

Look at the sheer size of this governing body. They don’t need to do any egregious when they can all just agree in unison to not do anything. It’s like a political party when the the other people are in charge. The only thing they care about is not showing up in the police blotter.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Saban is not the enemy here. He's been somewhere between supportive and neutral, and in a general sense he and Clark get along just fine. Saban understands that UAB is no threat to bammer, on the field or in recruiting. The problem was/is Paul Bryant, Jr. and a couple of members of his coterie on the BoT, who consider every UAB ticket or t-shirt sold to be money out of Alabama's pocket. Nevermind that they have more money then they know what to do with (waterfalls in the locker room? Bear would shit a squealing worm). Nevermind that the UAB faithful would in large part never ever put money in UA's pocket. They want every nickel, and screwing UAB is a feature not a bug in that program.

Baby Bear is still holding a grudge that goes back to 1980 or so, and he and the people he controls outright or otherwise influences have repeatedly screwed UAB athletics over. Finis St. John, currently the Chancellor of the University of Alabama, was one of the three biggest BoT members who did all they could to make the program fail. The BoT in general has been good to UAB since we forced The Return, but there are still goings on behind the scenes, and will be until Bryant, Jr. is in the ground.

Things are better than they ever have been as long as I have followed the program. UAB and Bama have basically come to a point of not messing with each other much, and that's fine by me. I don't care if we ever play the sumbitches, myself.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Maybe. Playing Georgia made obvious what the difference in talent levels means, but USC has not had the kind of recruiting classes that UGA has had over the last decade. Even though the Dawgs stomped us flat, we scored a touchdown and ran for over a hundred yards. We couldn't do much with them, but we did better than Clemson or Vanderbilt did. Yeah, Vandy is SEC cellar material, but if we took in the funding that they do we'd at least have run for more yards than we gave up points.

G5's don't beat P5's often, and top of the food chain P5's less than that. UAB does ok considering that it fields a team full of three stars.

9. Neutral Corner

There is literally a boilerplate reply that Alabama has repeatedly used with regard to scheduling UAB in football or MBB. "The University of Alabama has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing UAB." There have been a couple of UA hoops coaches who have been asked about playing UAB immediately after being hired (and before the rules who have been made clear to them) who answered the press with "Sure, that's a great idea", only to have to toe the company line and back off of that stance later.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gen X (aka my age bracket) seems to be the dividing line between Tide fans who get worked up about UAB or not. The younger ones don’t care. The older ones still treat it like a family scandal that it would even be suggested and are sore that they changed the wording on the med school degrees. Those of us in our 40s and early 50s are a mixed bag.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

A couple of journalist type UAB people reached out to him right after The Return and he declined. Perhaps one day the story can be told fully. Carol Garrison, the UAB President who was pushed out of office over fighting for an on campus stadium and Brian Mackin, the AD at the time of the shutdown, both left the school and have never commented on the shutdown publicly. I suspect an NDA with teeth like a great white. I doubt anything comes out until after Bryant is long dead.

That stadium is a great example. UAB had the land and the backing. It had all but one of the luxury boxes presold. The BoT did not vote it down. Paul Bryant, Jr., who was at that time the President Pro Tem of the UA BoT, simply removed the stadium from the board's agenda a couple of days before the meeting without a vote, saying that "it lacked the support to go forward". If it lacked the support, why not hold a vote, vote it down and be done with it? I guess he wanted to be certain, and to make it obvious what was happening.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seems odd.

Maybe KVV then. Or maybe MacGregor returns to sportswriting for a special 1-time engagement.

Guess Birmingham will be left to talk shit and scoreboard Mobile.

Draft saved Draft deleted