1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Gotta be Phil at Bethpage, right? Seems like the no-brainiest of no-brainers.

playthrough likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Freddie has a pretty good life of just showing up as a vice captain (useless jobs and why each team needs several is beyond me) and just being Freddie. Who wants actual work or criticism?

misterbc and Tighthead like this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They're going to save Phil for Bethpage in 2025 ... the better to rile up the yahoos. I like Zach Johnson for Italy.

maumann likes this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

PGA of American stuffed shirts don't think Freddie will put in the work ... and not figuring out pairings, etc. But all the ceremonial BS and uniform style. Plus, he doesn't currently have a trophy wife to be the team mother.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There was a comment directed at Stricker at the presser about whether he'd get another chance as captain. He said the PGA of A already has it mapped out and he's not on the list, which tells me hondo is on the right track.

I also found it highly ironic that one of the requirements for years in selecting a Captain was winning a major. So non-major winner Stricker promptly puts together the best, loosest, most dominant U.S. team in years.

playthrough likes this.
  6. playthrough

Zach strikes me as a "meh" choice but he checks boxes -- won majors, has prior vice captainships (zzzz), won't embarrass any of the stuffed shirts. So yeah, he's probably the guy.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think the PGA finally figured out you don't pick the captain out of thin air, you "groom" them by having them as vice-captains then they get the seat (like the Euros were doing, duh). So yeah, Phil's there. Hell, I'd love it if it was Phil in 2023 and 2025, guys love him and he loves being the "cool dad" and he was been doing the vice-captain thing.

maumann likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

All due respect, but that type of narrow vision is exactly what got the US in the place they were digging themselves out of this week. Zinger does a great job in 08, then that "pod" system is ignored because the stuffed shirts go to the names instead of the guys who actually have something to contribute, you know, "coach" or lead. I long admired Watson the player but as a leader? Just a sh*tshow. The leader of the team has to have the respect of the players. Given the new wave, Scheffler, Schauffle, Morikawa, Cantlay, Bryson, Berger, English, Spieth, Brooks, you'd better have something they look up to, not someone that's just forced upon them.

9. playthrough

Yeah, that's fair. With Watson, the then-PGA of America president (who had virtually sole responsibility for choosing the captain) was trying to turn the longtime tide of U.S. suckitude by bringing in an old-school guy, like this was a football team that needed a kick in the ass. Wrong crowd for that approach.

Finally, the U.S. has a young nucleus that doesn't have all the scar tissue of past Ryder Cups.

maumann likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If he truly can’t play again, I could see Tiger wanting to be the captain as a way to keep his brand alive.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They were talking about this team on PTI today, how an important golf writer said they have a chance to win 4-5 more RCs. Wilbom - who I really like - brought up the example of the Chiefs, who were also supposed to be building a dynasty.

Bad comparison, I think. No salary cap on the Ryder Cup team, they're not going to lose anyone to free agency, nobody has to take a pay cut to keep good players, etc. Unlike the NFL or MLB, this team is young enough that it has a real chance to keep its top 9-10 pieces intact for the next 10 years or so.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There will be new Euro players along as well, though. Casey, Westwood, Poulter, Sergio, etc. are nearing the end of the trail, but Rahm will be around just as long as the US guys. Hatton, Fitzpatrick and Fleetwood are young, too. Sure they got smoked, but IMO some of the legendary US teams of the '70s would have their heads handed to them by the 2021 US team last weekend. Great players all got hot at the right time. Can't beat that.

Draft saved Draft deleted