1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is every high school football broadcast ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Sep 25, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are three types of high school football broadcasts.

The student-run - which are professional sounding, the kid probably wears a tie and has a full chart with numbers and names to reference. Maybe even a buddy is working as a spotter.
    The parent or local type - which typically is someone trying to be entertaining (mostly failing) and sounds like a fan with a running commentary - "Oh hey Al, good to see you....and the hand-off goes to the running back up the middle for a small gain - oh NOW they're saying we lined up OFFSIDES! Are you kidding me? They just gave them a first down folks. How's the pretzel tasting Josh, that's a biggun. Seriously, these refs...."

And the local station with a real radio guy - if its a younger dude who thinks he's on the way up, he's probably the first example, but probably didn't have time to do the full chart because he's working two other jobs to make rent and just has a roster. If it's an older guy, he's closer to the parent or local type who is constantly screwing up, knows it, but reminds people they should be grateful thatthe local station is even broadcasting these games and he's already worked a full 50-hour weeks.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I haven’t covered high school football in years, so I could be wrong. I live in a bigger metro area and almost all stations are now corporately owned. I think there are two or three stations in the region that carry games. I think there was a guy who was doing webcasts for a number of schools south of the city, not sure if he’s still doing that.

I lived in a smaller but not too small city c. 2008-09 where the station did a handful of games over the year but had webcasts every week.

I don’t even know if the cable public access channels do games anymore, or if the public access model is still a thing.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Finishing between 9:30 and 10 is definitely more common, but 9:30 is about average. I'm usually out of the stadium and back to the office by 10. Games kick off at 7. Maybe our teams run more than most, or something.

Last week we had a Thursday and Friday game that were both blowouts with running clocks in the second half. The Thursday game ended at 9 and the Friday game at 8:50. I think I was a little aroused when the final horn went off and I looked at my watch.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The team I do stats for is a Single Wing team. On Friday they played a Wing-T game.

Game was over at 9:15 (7 p.m. kick). Glorious!

Batman, dixiehack and Driftwood like this.
  5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

After more than 50 years on a local station, my old HS moved to an online service. Mild outcry.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2 hours and 15? What took so long?

Justin_Rice likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey it was close! At 7:51, there was one minute left in the first half, and it slowed down. Plus there was an extended half time to honor the anniversary of a state championship team.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

My office is about 2 miles from the local team's stadium. The game on opening night featured innumerable penalties, injuries and cramps then toss in the 50-minute post game lecture each team got, I got back to the office at 10:30. The next week's game was 70 or so miles away. About the same number of cramps but not quite as many injuries. I was back at the office at 10:45.

Draft saved Draft deleted