1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

ND -230 live after Wisconsin’s opening possession after halftime felt like the easiest money into the world…

2. exmediahack

Not a bad day for my under win totals for Auburn.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bama covered, 63-14.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And in doing so, Alabama improves their record to 3-16-1 ATS against non-Power 5 teams when favored by 39 or more.
    Just quoting the trend again for posterity, so I can search for the exact record when they play New Mexico State in November.

I'm glad I stayed away from this one. Alabama scored the "winning" touchdown with about three minutes left and their third-string quarterback in the game. My thinking was it would be right around the 45-point number, with the potential for a backdoor cover either way right at the end, so I was dead nuts on with the logic.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bizarre finish in the Oregon-Arizona game. The spread was Oregon -29.

Oregon, up 41-19, got the ball with just over two minutes left. A few running plays burns off most of the clock, and Arizona isn't really pressing the issue anymore. Oregon throws an incomplete pass on first down, runs two running plays, and Arizona calls a timeout to force a punt.
    Arizona throws an interception on its possession, but the Oregon guy goes down after running a few steps instead of trying to make a serious return.
    So now it's Oregon ball at the Arizona 40, about 1:30 left, same situation as before. Arizona has two timeouts but has obviously thrown in the towel. Instead of taking a knee or handing off a couple of times, Oregon puts in the backup QB and throws four straight passes (all deep throws at least 15-20 yards down the field, and all incomplete) to turn it over on downs.
    Finally, Arizona runs one running play to burn off the last 20 seconds.

I truly appreciate the collaborative effort to salvage my bet on Oregon, but that was really weird to watch.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, UAB will do its best to feed them some next Saturday. Both at 3-1 to open Protective Stadium. We're getting pretty excited around my house.

7. exmediahack

I lost on Bama. Had U58.5 and that was DOA.

However, I dropped a $25 free bet on this… Wentz U202 yds and Browns to win by 18-24. Paid out at +1261.

While the Bears +1985 promo didn’t win, I did profit about $1450 on the game. Not a bad day’s work.

MileHigh and Batman like this.
  8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Preseason NHL. Road teams often ice lineups with the minimal amount of professional experience. Books don't seem to catch up until it's too late. Kind of like preseason NFL used to be - home teams often need to prove something to fans.

Monday, Flames at Canucks on money line, Flames were -115 on a 15-cent line. I think I recognized four players in the Flames' lineup. Canucks lead 3-0 after first period.

Sunday, on another site, Canucks were -1.5 goals against the Kraken. Seattle ended up icing a lineup of experienced NHL players - basically their expansion draftees. Canucks had probably 1,000 games of NHL experience total among all of their players. Once the Canucks' lineup was made public, the game was off the board. Kraken 5-3 and it wasn't even close to being close to that close.

MileHigh and playthrough like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two weeks in a row hitting a SGP on MNF ... pretty comfortable one last night. Hurts over 250 yards passing, Sanders under 60.5 rushing (he got two carries!), over 47.5, DAL 1H -1.5. Very minimal sweating. Only concern was Sanders somehow ripping off a WTF 35-yard run in garbage time, but they clearly weren't giving him the ball.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thought Texas-TCU was last night for some reason, maybe because FanDuel had it starting at 9 p.m. Anyway, did a three-teamer last night with Houston ML and Iowa covering, and both hit easily. Now just need Texas to beat the Frogs by 5 or more to complete it. Go Horns.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was WAY more stressful than it needed to be, but hook ‘em

MileHigh and playthrough like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Won easily on Coastal Carolina -34.5 today, because Top 25 teams at home, giving less than 35 to a Bottom 25 team whose starting quarterback is out because he nearly died last week, are a remarkable 79-3-1 all-time ATS. It's science.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted