1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

You're right, it only takes one. Hope they get one. Wishing the best for so many good people there.

But, in the business deals I've covered, the folks who talk the most do the least. If you're really as valuable as you say, you're having discussions with multiple suitors out of public view. You're not planting stories in Axios and spending the better part of the year running around wearing a "FOR SALE" sandwich board.

Sports Barf likes this.
  2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I may be wrong on this and maybe Moddy can answer this, but didn't a lot of the employees who got hired the first couple years also have stakes in the company, meaning they could make or lose money if the company is sold?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how much the Athletic has lost through the first half of the year? The Athletic is instituting a price increase that should increase revenues by 12-15 million dollars annually assuming they can hold their circulation at 1.2 million. I would also guess that the podcasts are seeing additional ad dollars. If they are close to break-even they should sell pretty quickly, though not necessarily for 750 million. If the losses are above, for example, three million dollars a quarter it will be a tough sell.

I will note when Meredith tried to sell Sports Illustrated it had one hell of time doing so, finally leasing it to Maven.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They don't disclose that to the public. They haven't even acknowledged publicly that they are unprofitable.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Isn't it likely circulation would drop below 1.2 million with a price increase. The question is how much would it drop.

6. LanceyHoward

You are correct. I presented my example in to simplistic a fashion.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If The Athletic is offering me $9.99/year to come back, is this a bad sign for The Athletic?

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I would find $750M for The Athletic if they'd stop airing those gawdawful commercials featuring podcast hosts and listeners.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If a sub is worth $10 and that’s the sole revenue stream, then a $750M valuation would require a 18,750,ooo subscribers a year if you’re basing your purchase on 4 years of revenue.
    Hmmm….

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

18,750,000 minus 1.2 million =

12. LanceyHoward

If The Athletic gets 750 million dollars it will blow the mind of every finance professor I ever had in college. But there is Tesla so who the hell knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted