1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Quincy Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mizzouman51, Jul 2, 2021.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd wonder about the commitment to sports of the current owners/management, to allow the entire sports department to sit empty for 2 months now, extending into high school football season without a word.

Shit, trot our some news-side people to do some sports, if nothing else.

I Should Coco and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Prior to Quincy Media's Inc.'s sale of the two papers, you would see, for example, stories written by Hannibal writers in the Herald-Whig and vice-versa. I thought it was a good idea because both papers had more local and regional coverage.

Now, I haven't read the Courier-Post in quite some time or the Herald-Whig in more than a week. All I know is the season openers in Missouri start in about two hours.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

All the new owners had to do was fill the open sports position, and Schuck probably stays and they move on with what they've always done. Instead, they make a short-sighted decision that is going to prove disastrous. That was a great newspaper, driven by its sports coverage. Now...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She heralded a new era when they broke up.

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Totally agree, though I haven't talked to Matt for his perspective.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

For the Herald-Whig's print edition this morning, Hannibal's SE managed to write gamers from both Quincy, Ill. and Jefferson City, Mo. (bylines and datelines). A Hannibal news writer also provided a short gamer. A Herald-Whig news writer provided the art for the game in Quincy.

Over time, this place earned a reputation for monitoring radio and twitter for information and quotes (without attribution, of course).

Agate had a long list of Illinois and Missouri high school scores. So, all in all, not a terrible job considering the circumstances.

7. Mizzouman51

Mizzouman51 New Member

Four weeks into the high school season, still no staff bylines on a sports story. The Herald-Whig failed to cover the QHS vs. QND boys soccer game last week and has completely ignored Quincy University in all aspects.

BurnsWhenIPee and Liut like this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I did notice it posted another ad for editor earlier this week on the Missouri Press Association's website.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was at my parents' house yesterday and saw a commercial for the Herald-Whig in which they touted their sports coverage. I started laughing.

Liut likes this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Could we get someone representing the paper to come on here and clear things up about what’s going on?

11. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This is going down the road of Roswell, with the exception that it’s not going to end well. It would be nice to see some from Quincy update the good people on this board, if not for posterity sake.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is getting out of hand. Shame to think this is the same Quincy that gave the world multiple US presidents

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted