1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB stadiums you've visited

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 2, 2021.

1. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Oregon State, Oregon, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado State.

I would've thought the list would be longer, but I don't think I am missing any. That said, I wasn't a sports writer that long.

maumann likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Concordia-Selma is the Hornets. I think they are all tied to the Lutherans.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Something I didn't know until dixiehack's post. Lutheran schools named for the Book of Concord. According to Wiki:

The eight campuses in the Concordia University System are:
    Concordia College in Selma (a Lutheran HBCU!) shut down in 2018, according to an article by Ernie Suggs of the AJC. (Who I know from Durham and Rocky Mount.)

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Ohio State, Kent State, Akron (Rubber Bowl and InfoCision), Miami (Ohio), Toledo, Ohio U, Northern Illinois, Marshall, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Pitt (Pitt Stadium and Heinz Field), Buffalo, Youngstown State, West Virginia, Illinois State, Missouri State, South Carolina, Clemson, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, Arizona State, Louisville and Virginia.
    And a bunch of D3 stadiums

maumann likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Cool thread, and interesting that so many of us have visited/driven by stadiums just to see them, without a game being played.

The only one like that for me is University of Michigan. Went to a basketball game in Crisler Arena, and had to walk by The Big House.

Games I've attended:
    Big 10: Iowa (of course), Minnesota (dome, need to get to new stadium), Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State.
    MAC: Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Central Michigan.
    WAC (at the time): Idaho
    MWC: Boise State
    Pac-12: Arizona State, Washington State, Washington.

and last, but not least ...
    Independent: Notre Dame (vs. Ohio State, 1995). This was a very fun time, just to see the amount of top-shelf liquor consumed at tailgate parties, if nothing else. And watching the players walk from the chapel to the stadium is a cool experience.

I've covered a few D-III and Juco games in the Midwest and Northwest, too. And of course, seen most of the NAIA Frontier Conference stadiums because my son played in them.

maumann likes this.
  6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Back in the day ABC always reported Slippery Rock's scores at the end of all their scores, mostly major colleges, the Ivies.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There is a Concordia University in Montreal, they are the Stingers.

ChrisLong and maumann like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've had a few like that, Michigan being one of them. Flew into Detroit for a game at Toledo and met someone for dinner in Ann Arbor, so I stopped by. Was locked down tight and couldn't get in, but I could see through the gates at least. Same for Notre Dame. Also, I was best man in a wedding in Columbus, and the bride was an OSU marching band alum. So we took a bunch of photos outside Ohio Stadium. I've also checked out the football stadiums at Delaware and Furman when I was at both for basketball games.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ll do something similar with basketball arenas sometimes. When I was passing through Indy last weekend, I took a detour on a lark to see if I could see Hinkle Fieldhouse. Miracle of miracles it was open, but hosting some kind of volleyball tournament that apparently wasn’t open to the general public. There was one school employee in the lobby who looked a little skeptical, but then decided I was OK because “Well, you’re already wearing a mask” and let me peek in long enough to take one picture (which is too large for me to upload apparently.)

maumann likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The thing about Michigan Stadium is for all its lore, it isn’t intimidating
    The field is sunken so the stands don’t go as high as you think they would and the sound is kinda muffled
    Back in the day, season ticket holders were more worried about beating the spread than cheering on the Wolverines
    That’s changed

maumann and Hermes like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, for opposing players whose first view of the field would be through the tunnel at floor level, it's a little different.

I think also crowds across college football have drastically aged since the 70s/80s: the post WWII generation who went to college on the GI bill and built the suburban middle class is all gone now. Crowds are far more subdued now than 40 years ago.

maumann likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Not enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted