1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter — IndyStar

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matthew Glenesk, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I was laid off from my newspaper job at the end of 2018 and was out of work for 6 weeks. In that time I think I applied to 150 or so writing/marketing/PR/sure-what-the-hell jobs in the Boston area. I'd estimate less than 10 percent of the openings even responded with a boilerplate rejection letter. I got interviews at 3. Offer at 1. And it wasn't in journalism.

I mean this sincerely — life's not fair.

HanSenSE and superhater like this.
  2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This is one of the five stupidest threads I’ve ever engaged with in the history of SportsJournalists.com

RonClements and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. superhater

superhater Member

The "lol" was because you said you weren't going to post here anymore and yet you're here proving my point, still digging yourself a hole on the same thread two-plus months later. Why? Because you're offended that some SE didn't email you back for a job that you weren't going to get anyway? Welcome to real life; not everyone gets a trophy or a call back here.

If I had $100 for every cover letter I sent that didn't get a response during my multiple periods of unemployment, I'd be retired and my house would be paid off. I didn't come to a message board crying for validation every time I got ignored, because I wasn't raised to believe the world owes me a hand job just for living. This whiny shit chaps my ass.

lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.