1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Will it be in print as well?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jun 22, 2021.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I helped start an online (daily) & print (6 issues a year) trade magazine from scratch about seven years ago. Things are going well, thank you for asking. We even launched a second magazine through the company.
    Most times I work directly with the companies I interview, but every so often I work through a PR agency. Without fail, I get asked the question: "Will it be in print as well?" ... all the time when a story I run goes online.
    Our online reach is much greater than the print. So I am confused why this is important to them.
    Why would they care? Does the PR person get paid twice as much for getting the story online PLUS in print?
    For the most part, we don't print online copy. In fact, we do the opposite and run the print copy online about 3-4 weeks after the print issue comes out.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

PR and agency people I deal with ask that all the time. They want a tangible item to put in front of a boss, or send via mail with a note. They say forwarding a link isn't the same, even if the online views are far greater than print circ and views.

3. spikechiquet

Speaking of links (and maybe I'm just a cranky old guy) .. but I feel like PR people always ask for links of stories without bothering to just go to the website and get it themselves. I'm not their gopher. I don't need to send you a link when the story goes live. I don't work for you. You want to see the story? Check the website.
    My standard response to "can you send us a link when it goes live?" is: "I will tag the company I interviewed in social media posts."

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At my university I try to talk professors into writing for The Conversation, a platform whose stories are distributed by the AP and other outlets and end up republished all over. My presentation includes plenty of slides with online screengrabs from major media outlets, but nothing gets people to sit up more than when I show a print Washington Post with one of our profs' bylines.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

For the office wall, the boss would much prefer a framed copy of a print story to a framed copy of a printout.

RonClements and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  6. spikechiquet

Perhaps I could be slimy about it and send our media kit rate sheet? LOL
    (I won't, I'm totally kidding)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I just remembered this:

A couple of years ago I was talking with a woman who handles PR and marketing for a large group. She has been involved in the tourism-marketing-destination industry for more than 35 years in multiple states. She deals with everyone from state officials, legislators and wealthy folks to us flea-bitten dirty media scofflaws.

I asked her which she would rather have: a magazine story with nice photos and a circulation of 100K or so, or online content with a larger photo gallery and more widespread coverage via newsletters, social media and the longevity of the internets. She could say "this magazine has 100K circulation but this online story has had 750K views so far" to her bosses and others.

She didn't hesitate: "The magazine. It has more impact when I can show it to people."

She deals with older people who grew up with print. They see a story and gallery on a link and say it's nice, but it's still not "real" to them. That story's relativity and importance - to them - disappears into the noise of the web when its published. Print is tangible. It's the old "stick it on the refrigerator" mentality. So they want to see it in print and are disappointed if it's not, even if they get a big online spread.

I Should Coco and spikechiquet like this.
  8. spikechiquet

Mentality over metrics. Such an interesting dichotomy.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Without the PR angle, we have this discussion all day, every day. Our reach is huge online, but for a subset of readers/editors/powers that be, the print presence is more meaningful.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If "what did we do last year" wasn't so dominant, mentality over metrics could be the newspaper industry's mission statement.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

garrow, Mngwa, SixToe and 6 others like this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted