1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ellen Page...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 1, 2020.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

I wonder why the "biological female" didn't sue the year before when she beat one of the "biological males" in the same 55-meter race?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The cottage industry to be in Oprah's backyard has begun.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s interesting how the case for high school athletics is often sold in noble terms - teaching leadership, overcoming adversity, learning teamwork and discipline. Yet the case against MTF trans kids is always sold as “the girls won’t get to win.” Wouldn’t all those noble ideals still be in play with MTF athletes in the mix?

Mngwa likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s historic. Because for all
    Of recorded time no one knew there were more than 2 genders until recently. We don’t included cross dressers or transvestites because is often a sexual proclivity rather than gender revealing.

now we have separate catagories because it’s twice as many acting awards. More viewers for the Oscar TV show and 10 more people nominated who can use the accolade to increase their work opportunities and pay.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

No it's not. It's done because women and girls were never *allowed* to compete with boys, at any age, even when boys and girls are the same size as small children. And women's sports arose because we were blocked from male sports. How do I know this? It happened to me when I was young enough to be as good and equal an athlete to any little boy. But I didn't have a penis and I wasn't allowed to play and there were no girls sports.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps because you have to show damages to sue?

This is all new. Somehow, she is supposed to handle it perfectly or her position is invalid? Bullshit.

7. outofplace

One example of the end of that slippery slope is colleges offering only one basketball program. If women can earn their way onto those teams, good for them. If not....

We aren't at that place any longer. Women are given the opportunity, though not always a fair one. You are kidding yourself if you think that is the only reason or even the main reason why we still have teams for males and females in today's world. Take away the WNBA and tell those women they can compete for jobs in the NBA. How many make it?

Perhaps I should have been clearer and written that they exist for the sake of fair opportunity and fair competition. Both are factors. To deny the latter is to deny reality.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  8. outofplace

It is about all of those noble terms, but it is also about winning. You know this, right?

9. outofplace

This is why I don't like any of the current answers. I don't like any option that leaves people out, but I am relentlessly dedicated to the idea that sports should provide a level playing field for as many people as possible. Allowing MTF athletes to compete with other females is going to create unfairness. I understand that some people refuse to accept reality in that regard, but that is their problem.

Part of the issue is that not all transgender athletes are created equal. Some haven't made any physical changes at all. Some are taking hormones, but they haven't fully transitioned physically. Some have made a full physical transition. Doesn't that matter as well?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it’s weighted way too much to the latter and the former only gets trotted out when the school board has to justify the football coach being the highest-paid employee in the district.

11. outofplace

You are absolutely right about that.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Having no girls sports is an absolute wrong. They are entitled to every single dime invested in boys athletics. And that includes subsidizing women’s college sports from men’s football and basketball earnings. Before Saban and Mike K get another million dollars every girls team should be fully funded.
    I’m just old enough that girls didn’t play Little League but I remember when they started, holy hell you’d think the world was ending. Now? No big deal.

I have daughters who were multi-sport multi-letter athletes. But when they were just starting they played rec girls basketball, 20 years ago. No cross over. I don’t know what would have happened if a girl tried to play on a boys rec team. But by the time they turned 11, 90%of girls could not play competitively with the boys. By 14 years of age maybe 1 in 100k girls could play competitive boys baseball, swimming, basketball and soccer. Are there girls good enough to play HS golf or tennis? maybe a few. Enough to deny 100,000 girls the chance to play single gender sports? NFW
    I do know what would happen if a boy tried to play on a girls team. And so do you. The last 15 boys cut on every HS basketball teams could beat the best 15 girls. We are denying 15 boys a chance to compete because we give 15 girls the chance, even though they aren’t objectively as good. And that’s perfectly fine with me.

Lacrosse was different. Different game for girls. A always asked my daughter and her teammates from Rec league to travel teams to varsity all the way to college club and D1 women’s lacrosse, would you like to play boys rules lax with girls only or on co-Ed teams. And surprising to me, they rejected both completely. And I talked to girls who played D1 for Maryland, Duke, Louisville, Berkeley and UVA.

girls and women’s sports exist to give females the opportunity to play. Without the separation almost every female who played competitive sports would be a spectator.
    They don’t give Nobel prizes based on gender because there are no intellectual differences. Sports are different.

Draft saved Draft deleted