1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another class move by the NCAA; women's golf regional cancelled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 12, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It makes no sense. Everyone would play by the same rules. They would not be knocking anyone from a different regional out of the tournament. Typical NCAA bullshit. That spokesman is lucky somebody didn't chuck a club at him.

2. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Play 18 holes, use lift, clean and place if you have to. That would be better than nothing. If qualifying teams are decided a day or two later than expected, that has no impact on anyone.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yeah, this really makes no sense.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was a terrible move to announce the course as playable but not championship playable -- so you're saying if Joe Sixpack gets off work and wants to play, the pro shop will take his money. But no women playing a competition.

But if it's as bad as one might think after seven inches of rain in a week (and the skies didn't look so good in the video either), is it still a fair competition? I get that they're all playing the same course, but if you're playing it down then it can get a little ridiculous, and if you're allowing lift/clean/find a dry patch you could be out there forever and you can get into some rules snafus. And rescheduling to another course or another date, especially in These Challenging Times, is a very tall ask. As mentioned earlier, this regional had schools from all over, and rest of the championships are planned out.

I'm in nooo way being an NCAA apologist; I just don't see there being easy solutions.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry I disagree. If it was a men's regional, they would have found a way to play it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

One year, my men's tennis team was denied a conference championship match because our league didn't have an indoor backup. Oh we would have lost, but it was being denied the opportunity that sucked. One year later, we're playing at a indoor outdoor facility and guess who is the first team in history to play indoors? This career path of mine .....

Draft saved Draft deleted