1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jim Steinman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

John Lennon, who as far as I know never had anything much to do with Jeff Lynne and ELO other than hearing them on the radio, said, "they sound like we would have in the Seventies." I'd guess he'd have known as well as anybody.

Actually I thought Lynne broke out of his ELO mold somewhat working with the Wilburys and Tom Petty. Loosened up a bit around the edges.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

There was a movie back in the 80s where Superman's mom was the lead singer of a band and got kidnapped. Wasn't all that great but Steinman had a whole bunch of awesome songs in it Streets of Fire I think I was...

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Apologies to @Slacker for modifying his post, but I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Slacker likes this.
  4. Machine Head

Where do you stand on REO Speedwagon?

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You're not alone.

Did not know Jones went to VU.

Moon is brilliant.

He once tweeted that he was in the room when his dad and Freddy Mercury were discussing a collaboration (Under Pressure?) and he told them it needed more car chases.

I thought she was the public defender.

Night Court went on far, far past its sell-by date. Night Court at its cleverest:

Songbird, TigerVols and Machine Head like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

May you Turn To Stone.

Too bad you can't be Mr. Blue Sky.

Don't Bring Me Down ...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ELO in a landslide. Jeff Lynne was miles ahead.

8. Machine Head

Not head to head, I'm just wondering what @Junkie s thought are on REO

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You are correct. I hadn't even thought of that show for 20 years before this thread. One of the greatest lines in South Park history, by Cartman, "You'll be lame ... I'm talking 'Night Court in its fifth season laaaaaaaaame!'"

Songbird and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BRUUUCE!!

2muchcoffeeman, BTExpress and Junkie like this.
  11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I'm a child of that period, so I like some of their stuff. Roll With the Changes is one of the greatest rock songs ever. Hi Infidelity was a perfect early 1980s pop/rock album, though it probably doesn't hold up well, and Keep on Lovin' You was a great power ballad before power ballads were a thing. Many guys my age copped their first feels slow-dancing to that in junior high. That said, the direction Kevin Cronin took that band after 1982 or so was regrettable. Produced mountains of cash, so tough to blame him/them. If you need some pop music to go with your elephant ear, fresh lemonade or food-truck gyro, though, they're your guys.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

(Groos)

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted