1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sweden also has socialized health care.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It surprises me that this has not been more of an issue post-COVID. I understand the public option is being discussed, but I figured we'd see more of an uproar over lack of affordable coverage. The COBRA clause in the new relief bill is a good start, but it's a temporary fix.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ivanka Trump has posted pictures of herself getting vaccinated on Twitter. Good for her.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How long before she gets excommunicated from the klan?

5. Michael_ Gee

Her Dad has urged his supporters to get vaccinated, but didn't use any pictures of his own shots. It would be no surprise if he was a big needlephobe, which is no sin, so didn't want pictures of himself wincing in fear.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"The vaccine? Hell no. You don't know what's in it and I'm not putting that in my body."
    [​IMG]

Mngwa likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But the US is so scattershot among states WRT restrictions. Seems interesting that arguably the most restrictive state still has worse numbers than an unrestrictive nation.

But . . .

US: 1,738 COVID deaths per million.
    Sweden: 1,355 COVID deaths per million.

8. Michael_ Gee

California was/is very far from the most restrictive state during the pandemic. It may have had severe restrictions at some points in time, but it's also removed them at other points. Pandemic's over a year old now. Have to look at the longer range picture, especially what did states allow/not allow from Thanksgiving 2020 to early January.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's fluid and can be interpreted a number of ways, but this says only Hawaii, DC, Vermont and Virginia are more restrictive than California.

Vermont, by the way, actually has something to show for its measures. 237 deaths, or 380 per million, best in the nation.

States ranked by COVID-19 restrictions

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Comparing Sweden to California is akin to comparing UT football to BGA football. Sure, they both play football and have for well over 100 years, but the demographics are, shall we say, unequal?

SFIND likes this.
  11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Shocking. One country has a healthy population, thanks to socialized medicine. The other is the wild west when it comes to medical care. COVID, it's widely known, affects the infirm much more. Amazing that the US would be doing worse here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    SFIND, lakefront and Gutter like this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pfizer dose No. 2, in my arm. Will report any side effects, but I didn't even need a bandage because the woman giving me the shot couldn't find where it was afterward. I guess I'm not a bleeder.

Draft saved Draft deleted