1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are 85,000 residents in my county. Probably 65-70K are over 18 and thus eligible for vaxes. As of today, almost 41K have one shot and almost 28K are fully vaccinated. We are getting there.

I'm exaggerating of course, but the last Republican left my county about 10 years ago, which might explain why so many people are getting vaccinated without any questions or worries.

I Should Coco, lakefront and Mngwa like this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They do not, but thanks for hitting your long-established level of ignorance.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just did some number-crunching.
    There are 456 counties or county equivalents in which ≥25% of the population is vaccine-hesitant and for which we have election data.
    In those places, Trump beat Biden nearly 2:1. Otherwise, he lost 46%-52%.
    He won 87% of those counties. He won 70% of other jurisdictions.
    If we still haven't beaten this thing in a few months, we'll know where to point the finger. Thanks, Trumpists. You fucking despicable people.

Vaccine Hesitancy for COVID-19 | Data | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Roughly about 15% of Americans smoke. I'm thinking that's the floor for number of people who will refuse to get vaccinated. Roughly 22.6% of Americans voted for Trump. I'm thinking that's a pretty good landing point for how many people will ultimately refuse to get vaccinated...somewhere between 15% and 23%...my gut says 20%-21%.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The problem is that 20 percent are all clustered in the same rural areas and really rich wacko anti-vaxxer enclaves. So we’ll have cities almost 100 percent vaccinated and rural and select suburban areas at 50 percent.

We talk about there being two Americas. We’re about to literally live in it.

lakefront likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lot of good cheap housing buys coming up in those rural areas.

SFIND and lakefront like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

What's going to happen is COVID will keep bouncing around these anti-vax populations and eventually, a new variant will pop up that overcomes the vaccines we have now. Then we'll have to start all over.

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That’s the big concern, certainly.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

At that point everyone who didn’t get vaccinated should be issued laminated cards declaring them Registered Dipshits.

HanSenSE, SFIND and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Let’s check on how Sweden’s approach to the pandemic is working out.

Hmmm … seems suboptimal.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems . . . by and large the same as they have been doing.

It's like the mother who tells her kid, "It's time for bed" and then 15 minutes later, "I really mean it this time!"

https://www.thelocal.se/20210413/ho...l-lockdown-different-from-the-rest-of-sweden/

And finally . . . COVID deaths per million.
    Sweden: 1,351
    California: 1,536

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the proportions of the entire population of the U.S. versus Sweden?

Draft saved Draft deleted