1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How am I wrong? What do you think?

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

No one wants open borders. We want a humane and logical immigration system that works. That means you don't have to wait a decade or more to become a citizen or to get into this country or to have your case heard. We don't want people held in limbo forever which is one reason why so many people come in illegally. Why not have just worker visas for anyone who shows up and is willing to do terrible work that Americans won't do. And disperse them widely in a way that makes sense? Why not start spending humanitarian dollars in these countries so these people don't have to flee? We can never forget that some of these people are fleeing conditions and we helped create in central and South America.
    I also think that if you're caught entering illegally, but you're not breaking another law, running drugs or gums or traffing people, that it should be just a civil offense.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Totally. Hold on to what we have and win in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and the filibuster can be relegated to the dustbin of history, where it belongs. And Manchin can't hold the party and country hostage by pretending to be a Democrat.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I appreciate your honesty.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are wrong to lump all progressives together. You are wrong in claiming that they all think the United States has no moral authority. There is room between questioning the morality of some of what is done in this country and saying lacks moral authority entirely. You are wrong in the implication that progressives want open borders. You pull this misleading, dishonest, broad-brush bullshit all the time.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It runs on undocumented labor because undocumented workers are willing to work for a lower price than native born Americans. The notion that Americans won't do "dirty" jobs is just wrong. They'll do them at the right price. Look at the Dakota oil fields. Look at every city sanitation department. Collecting trash is the dirtiest job there is. It also pays well in most places.

Alma likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Christian Conservatives and Trump
    And trumpism are synonymous. Christian conservative policy is do unto others that which brings them the most pain. Jesus died for your right to openly carry an AK-47. Mothers who have abortions should get the death penalty because that’s the only way to preserve life. Hellfire and damnation and vengeance and accumulation of wealth are the principles of trump

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't write "all." I wrote "growing segment" in one case. In another, I wrote "rhetorical influential voting sector." You're broad-brushing me to say I'm using a broad brush.

What do you think about immigration? What do you think progressives think about immigration? I know what you think of me. Hell, I know what you think of a lot of people around here. What do you think about the issue?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So is Biden exercising Trumpism by removing all troops in Afghanistan?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Correct.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A fine of $25K for removing statues lionizing traitors seems like a small price to pay. Might even be good for business in some cases or places.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

And every economist will tell you that in almost every instance, this is driven by the buyers (the consumers), not sellers. If buyers are willing to pay more for items built by "union labor", "made in USA", etc., then the demand for undocumented workers would lessen. People need to recognize that the undocumented labor "problem" isn't the "illegals", its our insatiable demand for their labor. The sooner we admit that, the sooner we can address it.

Draft saved Draft deleted