1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I went back to the well with mom on Sunday, not necessarily doing the hard sell to get vaccinated but just asking that she remember how much she and her grandkids love each other (and thanks to my brother’s wedding in January she went from two to five in the blink of an eye.)

Her stated reluctance is that she doesn’t feel like she can get full information on how the vaccines were created, what the testing protocols were and what the effects are. And this is a woman who worked nearly three decades in the hospital lab, so she’s far from medically illiterate. (She also struggles with media trust issues, a function of being a religious conservative.)

I did get her to agree to discuss with her GP, whom she already had an appointment with this week. If she brings up the J&J news, my plan is to tell her that I think it is a good sign that they are being transparent with risks, and that this is the newest of the three US-approved vaccines in terms of authorization time, which gives me a bit more confidence since there have been no similar reports on the ones that have been around a bit longer.

HanSenSE, Hermes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So my Thursday J&J appointment is . . . off? In limbo?

3. dixiehack

Call your airline.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If it is via your state, and not the Feds, they haven't necessarily paused it. Most states are expected to, though. NY announced that people who had appointments to receive it, still have their appointments and they'll be getting one of the two shot vaccines instead.

5. BTExpress

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. That has to be incredibly disappointing. Have you checked with Walgreens yet? I am sure they are going to try to get anyone who was scheduled for the J&J rescheduled for either the Pfizer or Moderna.

7. BTExpress

Not yet. But I did go to the site where I made the appointment, and instead of having all kinds of availability, it now says "no appointments available in the next 5 days"

EDIT: Just called. They are switching to Moderna. Appointment still good.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

J&J has had supply issues, followed by tainted product. Pulling it for now is the smart move.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had a similar talk with a friend last week. My feeling is I’d rather have some protection than zero. IMHO it’s benefits outweigh slight risks.

10. dixiehack

My son, the newly-minted 18-year-old, had been dead set against getting the shot, but had finally relented and made an appointment for this week after we backed off and gave him time to decide for himself. (Of all things, he relented because he wanted to get back to running the sound booth at his church.) No telling how today’s news will muddle things.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This brings up a pertinent question, though. Of course, I guess it could be a dumb question, too.

But, are we sharing vaccines and/or vaccine production information with other countries?

I ask/wonder because I would think/hope it would be welcomed by people in those places -- many of which are poorer, and yet saddled with much stricter COVID-19 related precautions and restrictions.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted