1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Some of us have mental trauma from Kyle Turris and Matt Duchene. And that doesn’t get into the fact that Poile has put off a needed rebuild yet another year when the best case scenario is getting blowtorched off the ice in round 1 by Tampa, Carolina or Florida. He’s never going to win a cup, but he’s going to wreck the ship chasing that white whale.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If coaches with the history of Trotz and Laviolette had an issue with Vrana, I tend to believe there's an issue with the guy. Hell of a talent, for sure. Fast. Skilled. Seems to be something of a flake. Seems like a high price but I'm curious to see how Mantha fits.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Gudbranson is terrible, but he’s on an expiring contract. He’s nothing more than a warm body, the old adage being that you need at least 8D for a deep run.

The “prospect” is a fringe AHLer. He’s going back to help Poile manage the 50 contracts.

I do think Gudbranson level players have been available on waivers.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Honestly, the Wings have been so terrible the last three years and I have been outside of Fox Bally Sports North land, so it has been easy to ignore them. Even without any analysis, it seems like they traded one NHL player for two NHL players and two significant draft picks (though they won't be high ones since the Caps are good). That on its face seems good, regardless of what one thinks of Mantha's effort level.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised by the trade, but it makes some sense. For all off the talent Vrana possesses, he's bad defensively and has disappeared in the last two playoff series. I mean, he was a complete zero in both series. I don't know much about Mantha because I don't watch the Red Wings, but if he thinks he's going to be a lazy glob and play for Laviolette, he's mistaken.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Getzlaf told GM Bob Murray he would agree to a deal if it would significantly help the Ducks improve. Then came speculation that if he left, he might re-sign next season as a free agent or retire. Apparently won't happen. The official trade deadline has passed, but the real one hasn't.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He’ll have one game where he skates like the wind and creates all kind of chances, then three where he doesn’t move his feet and tries to use his reach to play defense
    But he’s talented as hell

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which is the real one?

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The one where trades are announced 2-3 hours after the deadline. You know this. Why clutter up the thread?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Vrana is arguably (and maybe no so arguably) the best player in the deal. Maybe this deal makes sense in terms of the Caps saving money beyond this season, but they did give up the two picks and I am failing to see how it makes them better for the playoffs this year.

I read that the Caps had interest in Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno. ... Do you think maybe they lost out on those trades, and then panicked and did this one?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

McClellan said the Caps have had interest in Mantha for awhile. I think Vrana can be very good, still. But he's been maddening to watch night in and night out because he rarely plays up to his talent level.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Yzerman said Vrana replaces Mantha in the top six
    Panik was needed to make the salaries match
    He’ll be there if the Kraken want him
    Wings have two 1s, three 2s, two 3s, two 4s and two 5s

Draft saved Draft deleted