1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Another benefit: Oregon, Washington and California worked together in applying a consistent response to Covid. Washington and Oregon rank among the lowest states in the country in Covid deaths, despite having very concentrated population bases, attributable in part to California's aggressive approach, which Oregon and Washington emulated. .

qtlaw likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look if you're going to get exact, he said 10.7% of deaths when it was 12% of population. So I went with the quick 2% difference over 100%, sloppy okay.

The true is 1.3% less than the pro rata share, which is 13% less than anticipated right? Or is it 10.7/12, so we've only gotten .89% of the anticipated, which is at least 11% better.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I was told the math would be easy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky also has a Democratic governor who imposed perhaps the most restrictive health orders of any of the SEC states, to the loud consternation of the haircuts ‘n riblets crowd. It also adopted Obamacare years ago, which left it much better positioned than its sister states to the south despite high poverty and a frankly jaw-dropping culture of regular tobacco use.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Luckily Quant had his chute packed so he could save the day and correct your math.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Bring the cape next time.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Literally. Have you seen people with oral cancers after a lifetime of tobacco use? They look like they've crawled out of an Ambrose Bierce story.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

With so much talk of some students falling behind due to remote learning, any thoughs on extending the school year, wrapping up around July 4 instead of Memorial Day?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister (one in middle school, two in elementary) wants this. And a total revamping of the school year. Take six weeks off over Christmas.

FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I look hot in it, trust me ...

OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get the logic, but it is very unlikely in most places. Virtual learning has sucked. Students in many cases have been working harder to learn less. Asking them to go to school another month when they are already going to be burned out doesn't seem like a good idea. Also, one of the other problems with virtual learning is the psychological toll on students. Taking away the summer break they were expecting will feel like a punishment to most of them. That isn't going to help their mental states.

How many extra weeks are you talking about? In New York, going to July 4 would only be an extra couple of weeks. In other places, it would be a month. Are you suggesting the states force teachers to work an extra month without paying them for the extra days? In many places, teachers are on 10-month contracts. In many places, they have been at least in hybrid models all year. That means those teachers have been working full time. If anything, hybrid models are more work than having schools at full capacity.

Many of the places that stayed all-virtual are the ones that have unions that are strong enough that there is no way they would work an extra month, at least not without getting paid. I absolutely get the response that some will have upon reading this: Fuck them. Well, "fuck them" doesn't get those teachers into the classroom into July.

Are two to four additional weeks worth making things feel even worse for students while pissing off some parents and pretty much every teacher?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted