1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MLB Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 17, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That’s a bad precedent.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pffffffft, everyone getting a refund is going to lose the money right back. They'll gain more publicity from it than it would have cost in advertising.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That’s true today. But the next bad beat that they dont refund may be problematic. And what about a guy who hits a 50 foot three pointer at the last second to only lose by 15 in a 17 point spread game?

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The confusion was heightened, I believe, because they went to replay to check one thing and saw an additional thing.
    They were checking to see if Davis made a legal slide into second trying to disrupt Iglesias. And while they saw that, they also saw that Iglesias was not on the base when he caught the ball.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not even remotely the same thing. This one everyone believes the wrong call was made. Those are things that happen regularly.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's right, I think that might have been what Toronto was challenging

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Better comparison might be Cowboys-Packers game with a catch vs no-catch issue late in the game inside the 5.
    I know there are others. Just can't remember them now. Open to suggestions.
    I agree the precedent seems a bit odd, but I doubt they made an emotional decision. They're a gambling outfit, which means they've got more number-crunchers than the Fed.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He caught it.

10. Songbird

Cubs pitcher throws 5.1 of beautiful ball but runs into trouble in bottom-6.

Brewers load the bases with 0 outs. Next batter grounds to Baez who throws home for the first out.

Cubs pitcher pulled, still ahead 1-0, great job, kid, and still in line for the win but still on the hook.

Reliever comes in. First pitch ripped into the left field corner, all 3 runners score, Brewers lead 3-1.

Poor Cubs starting pitcher. Poor relief pitcher who must feel like absolute shit. To let it all go to shit on the first pitch.

Relief pitcher uncorks a wild pitch to let another run score 4-1.

Next batter smacks a triple for an RBI, 5-1.

Next batter hits a single for an RBI, 6-1.

lol 3 minutes ago the Cubs pitcher left with a 1-0 lead and was in line for the win.

11. Songbird

And now the relief pitcher -- Something Chafin, who looks like Gorman Thomas -- beaned a hitter on a 3-0 count.

He was just yanked. Worst relief appearance I've ever seen.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the guy who hit the bases-clearing double was Luis Urias, who was batting .074 with a .111 slugging percentage. In case anyone wants to write that off as a small sample size, Urias started the game hitting .216 in 399 major-league at-bats. (Yes, I know he was a top prospect, but he has been pretty terrible so far in the bigs.)

Draft saved Draft deleted