1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't watch all of it, but from what I did see he looked really impressive. Very natural and athletic movement, not a lot of hesitation in his moves, and he certainly did a hell of a lot more than throw an arm drag for a cheap pop. If he were to try to make a career out of wrestling he'd probably do all right for himself.
    And was that the first time we've seen someone do a Destroyer on WWE television? I know piledrivers other than the Kane/Undertaker tombstone variety have been outlawed for a long time. Even with someone as agile and experienced as Morrison on the receiving end, I'm stunned that they let an amateur perform that move.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rough night for their team. Apparently Dana Brooke showcased her immortals during the match.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God, I love that Sasha is using Bianca's braided hair as a weapon.

EDIT: And that Bianca also used it as a weapon. Great camera shot postmatch to show that she actually cut Sasha with it.

Bianca looked a little green in that match. I think there were a couple of noticeable botches in there. But good for her.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

DAMN. That welt on Sasha's side after that hair whip was like the worst of a kendo stick shot.

Batman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

She should make that one of her signature moves and call it The Haircut :)

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All in all, a good show that’ll be remembered more for the history-making than being an all-time classic.

A little surprised to see Lashley win, but it was the right call. Sucks for Drew though.

Missed most of the women’s tag gauntlet. Really think the Riott Squad should have won to be underdogs for tomorrow night.

Missed most of Rollins-Cesaro due to family stuff. Heard it was fun.

Was wondering if we were seeing a double-turn with the tag title match. New Day acted awfully heelish. Seemed like A.J. spent 90 percent of the match getting his ass kicked, which was strange, but they told a good story with Omos.

Braun-Shane was predictable, but Shane getting beaten up is always fun to see.

Bad Bunny was enjoyable as hell. I figured he’d do a few things and Priest would carry the match. Nope. Kudos to Miz and Morrison for carrying Bunny to a good match.

Bianca winning was fine. I kinda figured she would go to the hair whip because Sasha kept going for the braid.

7. nickp

nickp Active Member

Bad Bunny just set the new standard for wrestlers and celebrities who want to step in the ring!!

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Didnt Pat McAfee do one?

the Peacock situation sucks. Didnt get to watch until this afternoon because they never stopped the feed so you could never start at the beginning.

I thought New Day/Omos was the best thing all night. Susprised Lashley won but happy for him. Happy for Cesaro that was great. Banks and Belair felt truncated, I wonder if they had time concerns after the delay?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure. If unseasoned celebrities are the only ones doing that move, though, that really waters down what should be a spectacular finisher.

I really liked the New Day/Omos tag match as well, which is weird because it seems to be getting crapped on or called average at best by reviewers. There were really only two ways that could go -- the way they did it, or Omos starts the match and lays waste to New Day in a minute and a half. They did a great job building anticipation to finally see Omos get in the ring, and then an even better job making him look like a monster. It wasn't a five-star classic or anything, but it was entertaining.

By contrast, I'm not getting all of the gushing love for the Banks-Belair match. Sasha clearly carried the match, and it felt like Belair was in there a year too early. She was overselling some of the emotion on kickouts, and it looked like she had a couple of minor botches here and there. Like when she was hung up in the corner late in the match, and Sasha jumped over her because Belair didn't lift up in time. It looked like Sasha totally blew the move, but I think it was Belair who didn't do what she was supposed to, and that was a pretty important moment in the match.
    It was a good match. Definitely a solid main event. I really loved the way they incorporated Belair's hair into a number of spots, including the finish -- her hair is one of the most impractical things currently in wrestling, so I'm glad they showed someone figuring that out and using it against her, and Bianca also countering it to show how she can make it a literal weapon; that was great, smart storytelling -- but there were also a lot of things that, to me, kept it from reaching that stratospheric level.
    When they interview Belair for her Hall of Fame induction in 2040 or so, they will inevitably bring up this match as the one that made her a huge star. And if the first thing she says isn't to credit how much Sasha Banks did to put her over, she ought to get her ass whipped.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Im with Batman 100%.

The way New Day was willing to “work heel” to get Omos over, they way they worked an old school cut ‘em off tag match, the way Woods and AJ screamed at each other throughout.... it was a freakin work of art, to me.

Banks and Belair wasn’t. It was decent. Not special. Didn’t pull me in, didn’t make me feel anything the way the best women’s matches of this era have. Oh well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess

Batman likes this.
  12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Now this is the kind of entrance I expect at a Wrestlemania.

Draft saved Draft deleted