1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, high school sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Carlos Silva Jr., Apr 2, 2021.

1. Carlos Silva Jr.

Carlos Silva Jr. New Member

Hello all,

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Wanted to let you know that we have an opening for a high school sports reporter, which also has the opportunity to help out with coverage of Texas Tech, a Division I university and a Double-A baseball affiliate in Amarillo -- about two hours north of Lubbock.

Our previous reporter, Alexis Cubit, did a fantastic job making the job her own and parlayed it into covering Clemson athletics for The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina.

Plenty of opportunities for great A1 CP content and a chance to tell great stories with the plethora of schools in the South Plains.

If you have any questions or are interested, send an email to my contact below.

Thanks.

- Carlos

Here's the official posting for the job.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and the USA Today Sports Network seek a multimedia journalist who will cover high school sports in the South Plains, Panhandle and help out with our Division I college Texas Tech University.

The ideal candidate will not only know how to write a profile feature but also build a story quickly for social media and other digital platforms. Another facet will be the ability to find enterprise stories in the community outside of the games and can be great A1 Sunday stories.

Applicants can be recent college graduates but must have clips that show the ability to write breaking news, enterprise pieces big and small and be able to produce a quick video and produce podcasts.

The Avalanche-Journal sports market is unique in that high schools are a linchpin to our sports coverage and provide plenty of great opportunities to pen front-page stories, and covering Division I athletes before they make it big. But, there is an opportunity to cover Texas Tech University and also a Double-A baseball team in Amarillo which is two hours north of Lubbock.

The Avalanche-Journal pays a competitive salary with excellent benefits and has shown that hard work can parlay into covering a Division I college beat. The paper is among the top award winners in the region for a mid-sized daily and we're hoping to fill this spot quickly.
    No phone calls for initial correspondence, please.

Apply here, and also feel free to e-mail work samples and references (electronic correspondence preferred initially) to: Carlos Silva Jr., sports editor, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, at csilva@lubbockonline.com.

Requirements:
    • Bachelor's degree in journalism

• Experience working for an online-only news website, newspaper or magazine

• Excellent communication and time management skills

• Ability to write accurate and detailed

• Experience with video production and editing
    • Good understanding of audience and community-building on social media sites and/or blogs

• Must be able to work well on deadline

• This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.

Application Instructions:

We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes as much of the following as you can:
    1. Your resume – condensed to a few pages.

2. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.

2. I worked here but in a different role. You’ll be the lone full-timer tasked with covering about 60 high schools. Pay is around low 30s. Carlos and Don Williams are great people to work with. This is a great opportunity for someone breaking into sports journalism. Lubbock isn’t, um, very exciting, but it’s a nice place to live.

3. Carlos Silva Jr.

4. Carlos Silva Jr.

Hello all, will do my best to reply to all of the entrants. But wanted to let you know we've narrowed down our list and are talking to candidates.

Thanks again for the interest from everyone.

5. Carlos Silva Jr.

Hello all, in case you have not seen it on social media, we've hired Stephen Garcia from the Abilene Reporter-News. Thanks to all that applied.

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted