1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Eating from a can"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twirling Time, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He has changed the lyrics in concert sometimes to "early evening, April 4," which is more historically accurate, but he says it doesn't flow as well, to his own ears.

Last I read of him commenting on it, he said:

1, "it's wrong, I'm sorry";
    2, "I fixed the lyrics but it sounds awkward when I sing it," and
    3, "if the main effect has been that people go back and look up the original stories and learn more about MLK himself, maybe it's not a bad thing."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I still remember being grossed out by a criminal eating dog food out of can on Hawaii Five-0.

Baked beans out of a can is good. Most other stuff needs to be heated.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That song is approaching 40 years old and I never noticed that. And it was easily remedied. "Early evening, April 4" would have worked metrically.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I always thought Billy Joel was off his rocker when he described Billy the Kid as a legend "east and west of the Rio Grande."

Then I went to New Mexico and discovered that once you get west of El Paso, the Rio Grande does indeed curve north and splits much of New Mexico right down the middle. So, since Billy spent almost all of his time in New Mexico, he was indeed a legend in his time, east and west of the Rio Grande.

I'm sure Billy ate some beans out of a can, too.

Batman and TigerVols like this.
  5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Eating welfare turkey out of a can
    I can't do nuthin for ya man

Songbird likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But was he wanted, dead or alive?

John Moe’s Pop Song Correspondences: Concerning, Jon Bon Jovi, Wanted Dead or Alive

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Expecting historical accuracy from Bono? The same cake eater who hid his money in offshore accounts?

I haven't listened to a note of U2 since the Panama Papers came out. Fuck him.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Last time I ate out of a can, I cut the everliving hell out of my finger. Next time I'll dirty a dish.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

How is Progresso Soup like Morganna? They have bigger cans.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Eating out of can? No ATM. No. NO!

Draft saved Draft deleted