1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny Rivers: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One of Tommy James’ biggest hits, I Think We’re Alone Now, was banned by one of Detroit’s biggest stations, WKNR Keener 13
    It never made one of their playlists
    Of course CKLW, which was soon to overtake WKNR, played the shit out of it

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

YES

After all, he's got the rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu.

maumann likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tommy James should be in if only for the all-star jam of other artists covering his songs.

cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

The classic Guess Who lineup with Burton Cummings fronting the band wrote all their songs. No covers. They were one of the top bands in the world for a few years and are so far ahead of Tommy James or Johnny Rivers, who I like a lot, it’s no contest. Cummings was an amazing rock vocalist, among the best ever, and Bachman is a hell of a guitar player. Re listen to their greatest hits albums, great tunes. They blow 25% of RRHOF inductees away.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I remember when I was first learning guitar, just goofing around I stumbled upon the opening chord to "Laughing" ... and eventually figured out how to play it (this was before you could look things like that up on the internet). Believe me, I was no Randy Bachman.
    And trying to sing that song, like Burton Cummings can? No chance.
    Just about the entire "Best of the Guess Who" album is outstanding.

6. Starman

Somehow I had the idea that BTO had several
    members in common with the Guess Who, but Bachman is the only carryover, so I guess my combined induction idea wouldn't really fly. Too bad, because each band separately is about 85% to the HOF on their own merits alone.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Loved Poor Side of Town and Summer Rain; I say yes.

8. Starman

The Veterans Committee of the RNRHOF is going to be very busy the next decade or so, since the eligibility window is now moving past the album-rock era and into the age of mp3s.

I suspect there's also going to be a trend toward inducting groups with at least some of the members still alive and in semi-performing shape. Induction ceremonies with only tearful survivors aren't good teevee.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was about to say that. Whatever streaming service you use. pull up The Best of the Guess Who. There's one clinker track (Bus Rider) but all the rest are solidly crafted and executed pop rock songs.

These Eyes
    Laughing
    Undun
    No Time
    American Woman
    No Sugar Tonight/new Mother Nature
    Hand Me Down World
    Bus Rider
    Share The Land
    Do You Miss Me Darlin'
    Hang On To Your Life

misterbc likes this.
  10. vicd

vicd Active Member

Johnny Rivers drummer Micky Jones, who also backed up Dylan when he went electric. (After Levon Helm quit)

[​IMG]

misterbc likes this.
  11. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Yes, their music was actually rock and roll. Adding on to your list are slightly lesser lights but still great pop rock:
    Albert Flasher
    Runnin’ Back to Saskatoon
    Rain Dance
    Star Baby
    Sour Suite
    Guns, Guns, Guns
    Dancing’ Fool
    Of a Dropping Pin
    Talisman
    Glacé Bay Blues
    Hell, I’d put these tunes up against some previous inductees hit catalogue let alone Neutrals list. They were terrific even after Bachman left, not quite as great, and always had the rocking piano/guitar combo that’s tough to beat.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Two lists of best Guess Who songs, and no Clap for the Wolfman?

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted