1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Wednesday Night Wars are over. AEW wins by count-out after WWE rolls out of the ring and runs for the loading dock, where a getaway limo awaits. Belt doesn’t transfer, though.

AEW should’ve kept with its original Tuesday Night Dynamite plan, though.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also, because why the hell not?

JimmyHoward33 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Shaq was a hell of a lot better than both those women. Tully was better than all 3.

The NXT move is because the NHL makes more ad money on Weds than both rasslin shows combined. And thats hockey, lol. Tells you how “big” both shows really are in the big picture

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

This kind of seems under the radar but Jim Crockett Jr., whose Mid-Atlantic territory became the de facto NWA, a strong No. 2 promotion in the '80s as Vince's WWF began its ascent, died Wednesday:

Jim Crockett Jr. Passes Away At 76 After Organ Failure

I started following wrestling thanks to the WWF, but when I started looking at the PWI magazines I became familiar with Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, the Four Horseman and the two Express (Rock n Roll and Midnight). Unfortunately, my town's cable company decided to be the only one in the area not to carry TBS, so I didn't get to see it a lot on TV. When I did, though, I appreciated the promotion's gritty alternative to the circus-like WWF.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Low key, Tony Schiavone may be one of the people indebted to Crockett the most. Practically his entire professional career.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was the same way. I read the Apter mags, but our town didn’t have TBS, and when we finally could, my parents didn’t want to pay more for the higher tier.

The mid-80s NWA was as fantastic creatively as it was dying financially. So many great wrestlers and personalities that made you care. Too bad they couldn’t have given Vince a better run for his money until Turner bought them out

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

To me, the NWA was No. 1 compared to the WWF. I always preferred it, at least.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

Oh lord ... I know he really is of Nigerian descent, but they're really having Apollo speak with a forced African dialect? Or is this a tie-in with "Coming 2 America"?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It worked for Kofi Kingston.

10. nietsroob17

On another note, I was convinced that camera man they sat on the top of the cage was going to be a plant -- maybe Jimmy Uso or Edge.

Batman likes this.
  11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Here’s what I don’t get: the women’s tag team belts travel to every show, so why does Adam Pearce get involved there? It could’ve been William Regal but the belts transfer just the same.

I’m OK if this chase gives Kai and Raquel a WreatleMania moment, for sure.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a promo by Daniel Bryan. His best in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted