1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albums Your Parents Instilled In You?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good for you. Saw him in Fayetteville. Just him alone at the piano. No Davey Johnstone. No Nigel Olsson.

Played the usual hits. Played "Better Off Dead." Don't think he was promoting an album.

His run during the early and mid-'70s - two albums a year for much of it - was really impressive. Most of the albums during that stretch are his best, IMO.

maumann likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My god, I saw Elton John 48 years ago this month. Where does the time go?

I blinked once and it was gone
    Gone gone I blinked once and it was gone

maumann likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My mom used to play a “Peter and the Wolf” music-appreciation record that now takes up too much space in my head, causing me to not be able to remember more than about four PINs or important telephone numbers.

dixiehack, maumann and PaperDoll like this.
  4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I was born in 1972. My mom was 19. There was a lot of "AM gold" played around the house. My mom didn't have a lot of albums but three that I loved then and I love today still are:

Jim Croce's Greatest Hits (1974)
    Gordon Lightfoot, Gord's Gold (1975)
    Elvis Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite (1973)

qtlaw and maumann like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We had that Jim Croce album. I might still have it. I known I own it electronically and maybe on CD. Not a bad song on it.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That Elvis TV special from Hawaii was what got me into Elvis. My dad insisted I watch it, and we watched it together, so that's a good memory I've got of my dad. He's been gone seven years now.

Kato and Tighthead like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Gord's Gold" is great. I have the CD, which unfortunately had to drop "Affair on 8th Avenue" from the LP version because of space restraints. :Affair on 8th Avenue" is a real chestnut.

Kato likes this.
  8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's indeed amazing, kicking off with "Also spruce Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey)" and those drums going right into "See See Rider." As my mom tells it, I used to go crazy and run around the living room to those drums.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When coming out of commercial for the opening tip, Tennessee basketball’s radio network uses the horn intro to CC Rider as it’s background music. I always thought that was a clever home-state touch for a program I otherwise loathe.

Flip Wilson and Kato like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Of the musicians who died tragically early, Croce is right up there with Buddy Holly. I wonder where their careers would have taken them, given the incredible amount of music they produced before their deaths. Plus, Croce's plane crashed on my birthday in 1973, which adds to the melancholy.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

What an awesome topic, thanks for posting.

My Dad had different phases he went thru. I knew most of the popular Beatles stuff and could probably still sing all of the words from I am the Walrus without much help even though I haven’t sought out the Beatles since I was 12. Just tried to sing Elanor Rigby in my head and realized I know all the words to that too.

What phase he got into that I will pull up is his old country music. He hates it now but I love it. Probably know way more Statler Brothers than anyone I know. When it was used in Pulp Fiction I felt like a bunch of people were let in on my awesome band. Still will pull out George Jones, Waylon and Willie and Merle Haggard on a fairly regular basis. Spotify and Sonos are great when you get the urge to hear something.

I would love to hear my kids answer this in 20 years. My 13 year old daughter is in to moody teen girl music among other things. I first heard of Billie Eilish from her and she was playing that Driver License song when it first came out. I enjoy busting out old school hip hop as answers to questions and even though they cringe they want to hear what stupidity/awesomeness I will come up with. I can’t count the number of times I’ve responded to their “I’m hungry” with “Have a biscuit, with a slice of cheddar cheese, have a neckbone, you don’t have to say please” followed by me playing the song.

dixiehack and Octave like this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I am trying to understand the appeal of Eilish and I give up - I am pretty fucking far removed from the teenage angst years.

And if you're a teen living in this timeline and you're the slightest bit dismayed about how shit's been going ... I can't blame you.

Being a teen is hard enough without a president advising the ingestion of bleaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted