1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I don't think it's quite that heinous. It's a non-partisan position, but one that serves at the pleasure of the chamber in question.

The Republicans got the Senate Parliamentarian fired in 2001 because he wouldn't let them use reconciliation for all of the Bush tax cuts, and I'd be shocked if they hadn't done it again since. I just don't feel like going past the first page of Google results.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ith-gop/e2310021-0f14-4667-a261-54e6c033207c/

The fact that the Senate Republicans managed to shift back into "Fuck you!" mode within weeks of the inauguration is a much bigger problem than the Senate parliamentarian, or even what is or isn't in this relief bill. Despite the protestations of the left, I think they ought to avoid falling into the trap of letting perfect be the enemy of good.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Senate Republicans didn't even try to create a smaller substitute bill that Manchin would support, which then would be the only thing that could pass. They have no desire to be legislators in the traditional sense. Easier to rant about Mr. Potato Head. It's their belief, and I'm not saying they're wrong, Republican voters don't want the government to function at all because they now oppose democracy itself.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Cuomo is not Swaggart, he’s Eliot Spitzer.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’m seeing things like this all over Facebook, as if it’s some sort of “gotcha.” I get it. You (the general “you,” not you, DSD) liked “The Cat in the Hat” growing up. You weren’t aware that Dr. Seuss was a raging racist. I didn’t know that either. Now, the publisher is shelving a few of his books, none of which you ever read, and somehow your childhood is under assault.

Grow the fuck up and stop thinking it’s funny to pull the corners of your eyelids and say “ah-so,” you fucking numbskulls.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    X-Hack, OscarMadison, Webster and 9 others like this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Am I naive to think that while it was the publisher made the decision to discontinue those books, that there wasn't somebody, perhaps somebody in the Biden administration, pressuring them to make that decision?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what was in Theordore Geisel's head, but I'd doubt he was a raging racist. Social mores change. There are things that few people thought twice about in 1955 that offend a lot of people in 2021. There will probably be things that people say and do today that will offend people at some time in the future.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have to cancel Snoop Dogg too: "Bitches ain't shit but ho's and tricks."

Or is that #metoo material?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do you have the faintest fucking notion of how our system of government works, excepting the the previous four years of the Fisher Price My First Dictator starter kit?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Perhaps!

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes, if that is in my child’s elementary school library I want to see it removed immediately.

X-Hack, OscarMadison and bigpern23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted