1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Think I'm done betting on hockey this season. Entirely too volatile with the teams playing each other so often. Had Calgary ML in a three-teamer that otherwise cruised last night (Pelicans, Sixers cover). Lost to the Sens 5-1. Thankfully made up for it by a heavy ML bet on the Cavs to beat the suddenly horrendous Rockets.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rule No. 1 of three-teamers: No matter how much you like your three picks, and even if all three come home, there will always be one problem child that gives you more grief than it should.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was in Tennessee at the end of January and killed a little time looking at the college basketball futures on DraftKings. West Virginia at +1150 to make the Final 4 looked like a decent value so I bit. Starting to wish I had committed more than $5 to the cause now.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. It just seems like the NHL is really, really random this year. The old home and away stuff doesn't seem to matter when you play a team up to four times in a row. Shall be a stayaway for me this year going forward.

Batman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I never knew enough about hockey to ever dive into it. I haven't placed a bet since the Super Bowl, but might dive back in for the first couple rounds of the NCAA Tournament. Our paper is doing a tournament pick'em thing and they want me to be a "celebrity" picker. So if I need to do homework to not look like an idiot with that, I might as well see if I can make some walkin' around money.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I saw that when it aired. Two points in overtime?? TWO!!!!

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Had one of those tonight. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois. Had the alternate total of U137.

Three points scored in the last 3:34 of the game. I checked back an hour later - assuming a loss - and saw cash in my account.

73-63 final.

8. exmediahack

Also, I bought Phoenix at 18-1 to win the Pacific. It’s now 12-1 at FanDuel. Hop on with me to Winnersville.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have an internal rule of not betting on my teams, otherwise I'd be there. I had something on Ovechkin to score in a game and I spent more time rooting for that than my team so I said no more after that. Sucked the joy out of it. There are a million things to bet on, so my favorite teams can stay off the board. Can't bet on my alma mater in Virginia anyway. Also, seemingly, I can't bet on West Virginia in Virginia either because Baylor-WVU was off the board yesterday. Really wanted Baylor -4, and they won by 5 in OT. Dang.

10. exmediahack

Devin Booker would be honored if you put your money on his team at this price.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair point, and I suppose if I'm betting on my team to win a division rather than having something specific happen within a game, that's a different thing. I'll be rooting for it no matter what. Sold.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, FanDuel has picked up the scent. Suns are now +500 to win the division thanks to that win in L.A. last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted