1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End of Play by Play on Radio?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Fuck Larry Munson and the hob-nailed boot he rode in on. I like my announcers to be classy, have a handful of iconic phrases, and know when to deliver the goods. Nat'rell gasssss.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In 1997, I was back home in CookeVegas after washing out of school the first time and in the very beginning stages of trying to get my life together. Part of that was a job at a local audio/video production company.

One day I got handed a Manila envelope and am told to use the recording inside for a client’s commercial, I think maybe the local Farm Bureau agent. Inside was the CD and a letter from John Ward on his personal stationary, complete with his home address in Fox Den. He explained what was usable at what time and added (and I’m paraphrasing)

“The first 10-20 takes ... FLUBS.”

I sat in the booth for nearly a half-hour and just started howling as the man I respected (and everyone else in the state treated as the voice of Jehovah) tripped over his syntax, lost his train of thought and occasionally let a couple of mild profanities in frustration, all in that famous clipped dictation. It was like sneaking a peak of the Pope taking a drag on a cigarette back behind the dumpsters. I still kick myself that I didn’t make an extra copy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Liut, maumann, HanSenSE and 1 other person like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Watched NFL Network's "The Timeline" today on the 1991 Atlanta Falcons.

Larry Munson was the radio voice of ATL. Don't think he did the Falcons for very long, but it was "we" and "us" just like the UGA Bulldogs.

Was Jeff Van Note doing analysis back in those days? I remember Van Note as WSB's morning sports guy with the late Bobby Harper.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Blue Jays, blaming pandemic, ax radio, to simulcast TV feed. B-b-but George $pringer!

Great idea for Yankees and get rid of Sterling and Waldman...

maumann likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am not at all surprised by this, Rogers has been gutting its media properties and given the issues with the pandemic, travel restrictions, a team playing in the US for the foreseeable future due to the border closure this seems to be them trying to make the best of a bad situation (and saving some money, obviously). Few fans are commuting, driving around at night or taking weekend road trips. The Jays' radio crew has not been good in recent years, certainly since Jerry Howarth retired, and I suspect all those getting screechy about this on social media rarely listen to the games, choosing to stream, them or watch on Sportsnet. They are remembering a time when most games were not on TV and radio was the only option. That was a long time ago.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    maumann and Liut like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What kind of ratings do Major League baseball get on radio. I remember when the local MLB team would dominate local ratings receiving 20-25% of the audience. My impression is that they have declined a lot much I don't know the scale.

Liut likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good question. Rogers owns the team and the the radio station. All Jays games are on TV and I suspect those who get romantic about listening to the games while lazing in the backyard on a summer weekend afternoon or sitting on the dock at the cottage with a beer are a small part of whatever audience they have. The Jays used to have a large cross-country radio network, no idea if they still do or even one that covers the province of Ontario.

maumann likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You could try your favorite search engine.

Blue Jays Radio Network

Liut likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well there you go, I believe there were more affiliates during the playoff seasons a few years ago but this is more than I might have thought. Baseball is huge in the west, not surprised there are four stations in Sasky. Three is southwestern Ontario which has a large Tigers fan base

maumann and Liut like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not surprised to see a few stations in B.C.

Way back when the Mariners allowed fans at games, the Toronto series always brought a bunch of Canadian fans into Safeco, to root for the Blue Jays.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Jays trip to Seattle is always a big deal for fans from BC, definitely the kind of place I would like to see the Jays play on the road

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are the Maritimes considered Jays territory, or are there more Red Sox fans there?

Draft saved Draft deleted