1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But but but teh invisible hand of the free market!

"The year 2011 was a miserable cold snap and there were blackouts," University of Houston energy fellow Edward Hirs tells the Houston Chronicle. "It happened before and will continue to happen until Texas restructures its electricity market." Texans "hate it when I say that," but the Texas grid "has collapsed in exactly the same manner as the old Soviet Union," or today's oil sector in Venezuela, he added. "It limped along on underinvestment and neglect until it finally broke under predictable circumstances."

William Hogan, the Harvard global energy policy professor who designed the system Texas adopted seven years ago, disagreed, arguing that the state's energy market has functioned as designed. Higher electricity demand leads to higher prices, forcing consumers to cut back on energy use while encouraging power plants to increase their output of electricity. "It's not convenient," Hogan told the Times. "It's not nice. It's necessary."​

The architect of Texas' electricity market says it's working as planned. Critics compare it to late Soviet Russia.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never understood how jobs with variable hours are filled. Schedule flexibility is great for part-time workers, but if you need to make a mortgage or rent payment - hoping that you get enough hours in a month to make your budget has to be brutal.

Smallpotatoes and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't mean to come on too hard and take it out on you. But comments like that always drive me nuts. The problems Texas has are NOT a "free market" problem. If there was a free market for energy, there would be no Federal control of the market that prevents Texas from heading next door to another state and purchasing energy when it can't meet its own needs. The energy market is heavily regulated to such an extent that it may be the LEAST free market there is. Within the structure of the mess we have made of it, Texas stupidly put itself on an island. But it's downright Orwellian when people represent this as a problem of the market, and not the government control that doesn't allow an actual competitive market to exist.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Two disruptive fuckheads with the names Cinema and Mansion...you couldn't make this shit up.

Wait, yes you can!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It still blows my mind that the GOP is going all in with Trump after losing the WH, the Senate and the House - because of HIM! Ridiculous.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’d be scarier if they had picked someone who isn’t going to be 78 years old in 2024 to be their cult leader.

You gotta pick your cult leaders like supreme court justices. Give them time to really do something.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really hope the entire cast of Stalin Is Dead is still around to do a tangential sequel when Trump kicks the bucket.

Steve Buscemi as Stephen Miller.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio raises in the Stupidest State Legislature poker game:

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe. He'll. Die.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ohio: where John Boehner, John Kasich and Mike Dewine are now considered communists.

My bedroom is a stranger's gunroom
    Ohio's in a downward spiral
    I can't go back there anymore
    Since alt-right opium went viral

11. 2muchcoffeeman

I read her Medium post and the Washington Post’s coverage. Has the ring of truth to it.

Reactions like this are why women who are assaulted are afraid to come forward and why male predators continue to get away with it.

Mngwa likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

Meanwhile, a job has been posted.

britwrit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted