1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reddit vs. Wall Street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'm still amazed at the 20-somethings at work who are buying it. They see it almost like a lottery ticket, so each payday they put another $20 on Doge.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This is how Tesla will make its money in the long run. BTC will eventually hit $100,000, and the company will make a killing. It's only a matter of waiting.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My dad is still convinced the Iraqi dinar he inherited from his brother (who bought it on get rich quick speculation) is going to make him wealthy one of these days. Just you wait and see!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember details and don't want to look to even try to figure it out, but wasn't the Iraqi dinar stuff one of those Q-anon / Trump things? Like Trump was going to make it appreciate in value somehow and there were followers of his trading dollars for them?

5. dixiehack

Wouldn’t shock me, but he bought this at least a decade ago, maybe as far back as the GWB administration. But if Uncle Michael hadn’t been so sick (died in Sept. 2017), he’d have reveled in Q-Anon like a pig in slop.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Which hedge fund am I bailing out this week?

7. The Big Ragu

8. dixiehack

I’m surprised there wasn’t more pushback over Robinhood running an ad late in the game last night. Just felt like icky timing.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump Fans Sink Savings Into ‘Iraqi Dinar’ Scam

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

GameStop jumped back up to 170 yesterday and now around 130.

11. The Big Ragu

There were call options with a strike price of 300 that expire TOMORROW. ... trading at $6. At any other time in my life, I would have been tripping all over myself to sell those options. I didn't touch it, though. This is beyond insanity.

Everything happening in markets right now feels like a blow off top coming. I may be wrong about this, because every time I think it, the Fed finds a way to intervene. But yields are starting to spike, and the yield on the 10-year treasury is right around where the dividend on the S&P 500 is. Which takes away the "There is no alternative" rationale for owning stocks at insane valuations.

One thing to keep in mind about the Fed. People mistakenly think "The Fed can control interest rates," but the only thing the Fed can actually control is the short end of the curve -- the Fed Funds / overnight rate. They can do things around the margins to influence the long end with the mix of bonds they are buying in their QE purchases. But if this keeps going, it will be a test of their resolve. They will have to throw all pretense out the window and do it in an iron-fisted, Soviet-style price fixing way, and if they go there, the con is over for them anyhow.

Because of the Fed, we have been in a 30 year or so bond bull market, and people forget what happens when the bond vigilantes get the upper hand. Right now, they are smelling inflation -- all of the money that has been created out of thin air and dumped out there PLUS the insane amount of fiscal spending the new administration is talking about. If they actually got a $15 minimum wage, it wouldn't help either. If the bond vigilantes actually manage to retake the debt markets from Jay Powell and his small group of arrogant monetary mandarins, look out below. Debt and all of the asset bubbles that have grown via that debt are not going to have an easy time of it.

If prices of consumer goods take off (more than they already have. ... commodity prices have skyrocketed) because of the recklessness of those idiots, we are staring down 1970s stagflation again. Which beyond how the stock market does is going to affect all of us in a really tough way.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What did that anti-semite Blodget say? "The perfect asset for a speculative bubble. Limited supply, and no intrinsic value."

LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted