1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Those who complain the loudest about "cancel culture" and "political correctness" have only one goal: showing the world that they remain the most colossal assholes walking the earth.

lakefront likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think she cheated on her husband with a gender neutral.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe U.S. Senators should be making the same amount they were being paid in 1969 too. $42,500. Fun fact, if the pay for the senate and the minimum wage kept pace with inflation they would be almost $303k a year vs. the $175k they make now and minimum wage would about 11.74.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A prisoner of his hate
    Entangled in his web
    Dark whispers in the night
    They're captured by his spell
    Captured
    Oh, yes, they're triggered by the show of emotion
    Should you be punished for your lack of devotion?
    Should you?
    Should you?

You better be good to him
    That's how it's got to be now
    'Cause I don't have no use
    For what you loosely call the truth
    You better be good to him

I oughta think it's oh, so right
    How we do need to fight
    We can't stand his face
    And Raskin presented his case
    Yes, I know

You keep telling me that you need him
    And I really don't believe
    That'll you ever give up your bad faith
    Oh, sure, baby
    Anything to please him
    But you better be good

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]

Didn't he say he STARTED at $1/hour and eventually moved up to $6/hour?

Isn't minimum wage the STARTING point to where you want to move up from?

Minimum wage in 1979 was $2.90. That's $10.45 today.

I believe minimum wage should be raised. But it's incorrect to use $6/hour as the comparison example. That was NOT his starting wage. That was his "I've worked here and proven myself and advanced" wage.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My first official, tax-paying job came in 1987.
    Minimum wage was $3/hr.
    The grocery store paid us $2.88, claiming they didn't have to pay the 3 because we were minors. In today's money, that would be $6.63.
    I don't think part-time fast food and grocery store jobs need a big minimum wage boost. Those are entry level jobs for kids. They aren't meant to be careers.
    It doesn't affect me now, but I'm for raising it for actual jobs. In all my years in the newspaper business, the most I ever made was $10.75, and that was before they cut us back to $10.50 in 2008. We all had college degrees making that. I look back now and think "WTF was I doing?" Oh well, that's why I got off the Titanic just after it hit the iceberg and before it started taking on water.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Once they increase it to whatever they increase it to it should be indexed because I’m sick of this fucking argument every decade. Workers move ahead for a year or two then the employers retains the upper hand through inflation.

Fred siegle, HanSenSE, wicked and 3 others like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If his $1/hour wage was in 1979, then either his restaurant was committing wage theft, or he received tips. Assuming the latter, then if he was making the equivalent of today’s $10.45/hour, he was doing better than today’s minimum wage earners in South Dakota, since that state’s minimum wage is $9.10/hour.

2muchcoffeeman and champ_kind like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As I said, I believe it should be raised.

But the "$6 = $23.11 HA HA HA!" snarky comparison was grossly inaccurate. And throwing in the "doesn't understand basic math and inflation" was an unfair cheap shot. That was my point.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The co/defendants and the defendants’ friends and family don’t get to be on the jury. OTOH a jury made up of the victims isn’t the fairest either. But fuck the criminals

Draft saved Draft deleted