1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Release the hounds: Bruce's first scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jerry-atric, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The marijuana theory is starting to become more plausible.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not really

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, do not be naive. Recreational drug use is prevalent in the rock industry.

Look at my avatar, my friend.

I believe I would know. ;)

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd certainly demand a jury trial and no jury in the world would convict anyone, much less Bruce Springsteen, on a .02 BAC, no matter what some cop says.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not sure you get to demand a jury trial. Don't think he's facing time in jail.
    Have to check with a buddy who's a lawyer to be sure, but in NJ many DWI
    cases (where there's no injury or property damage) are heard by a judge in
    municipal court.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not sure what New Jersey's laws are, but you can in Oregon for a DUII. I served as foreman of a jury on one several years ago. Guy blew a .06, got pulled over on a bogus lane-change charge. The cop would not admit the guy was driving erratically. Took us 10 minutes to come to a not guilty verdict on the first ballot but we sat around for an extra 20 so it didn't look like we were rushing to judgement.

7. cjericho

Found it. DWI alone is not a crime in NJ, so no jury trial.

First Offense DWI in New Jersey | NJ Penalties for 1st DUI Arrest

However, DWI charges in New Jersey are actually motor vehicle violations and not considered crimes. This can be good because, if convicted, you would not have a permanent criminal record. On the other hand, you are not entitled to a jury trial for your DUI charges and many people consider that to be a tremendous disadvantage. One thing is for sure – if you have been charged with a first offense DWI, second offense DWI, or third offense DWI (or subsequent), you need an experienced DUI defense attorney that can challenge the prosecutor’s case against you.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it odd that a million dollar ad seeking to "unify" the country chose a noted lefty like Springsteen as the pitchman. Harrison Ford or Bradley Cooper would have been a better choice.

9. cjericho

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just heard that the judge dismissed the charges against Springsteen.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted