1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Don Jr. couldn't make a coherent argument with a gun to his head.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Standard deduction for a married couple filing jointly is $24,800. That changed about 3 years ago.

You would need a $750,000, 30-year mortgage just to have any incentive to itemize your interest costs. And the savings would a few dollars. For 2-3 years. Mortgage deduction is already gone for the middle class.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty good idea.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Property taxes are also tax deductible, or at least they used to be before the change. So, by my math, and correct me if I’m wrong, if you had a $600K mortgage at 2.5% interest, and $9K in property taxes, that would reach the the rate for itemization.

It would affect those who are in states with expensive housing and high property tax rates.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably true. But as you say, that "reaches" the rate for itemization. Still takes a bit more to make it worthwhile. And that SD creeps up every year (was $24,000 two years ago). Although I guess property taxes creep up, too.

I guess it's possible to pay a $600K mortgage and be middle class. Out of my league, though.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the Christian Republican Party limited the SALT deduction to 10k. State and a local tax. Most Northeast States have 10k for property taxes before their income taxes. Christian Republicans did this to punish State’s which have good education systems. Make the more like the shithole public schools in the SEC/CSA

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Hat Man blamed them for Germany invading France in World War II, which makes no sense whatsoever.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Wait...

0.89 is the normal rate per KWH or what it went up to for the freeze?

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

In increasingly large portions of the country, a $600k house is squarely middle class. Most of California, Denver, large parts of the Northeast.

I’m totally fine with cranking up that standard deduction. Makes doing my taxes much easier, and I’m actually not paying more. Now, does that remove the incentive to buy a house? Maybe, but I doubt it. If you want to own a home, you’ll own a home, and some sort of tax savings likely won’t come into play.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted