1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Certainly. ... if fucking with Ted Cruz is a virtue.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Let’s at least acknowledge the double standard, the Jewish Israeli government is making the vaccine available for all Israeli’ inhabitants regardless of religion. Not perfect but how’s that standard working in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan? Think the Jewish inhabitants of those countries are treated fairly?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That really isn't relevant to the discussion of whether or not the comment on SNL was anti-Jewish.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also the worst at hitting a curve ball.

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

you no help me now i say fuck you jobu i go to cancun

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Jury selection and keeping the jurors alive after a Trump trial gives me a headache just thinking about.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Of course it’s relevant. Because it shows how Prevalent and acceptable anti-Semitism is. We accept the double standard. Jews are accountable in ways their Arab and Muslim counterparts are not. And it’s not the accountability or the substance of the discussion, it’s just a license to ridicule Jews. It’s an acceptable reason to hate them, publicly.

It’s the same reason that Christian republicans love to point out horrific crime and murder rates in predominantly black cities. It’s not that the Christian republicans Care about the innocent blacks being killed. It’s a chance to point out that blacks are so violent and murderous, it’s a chance to infer blacks are lesser humans without saying it. And they can do it with impunity because they hide behind the charade of criticizing crime.
    Same with Che and anti-Semitism. He doesn’t care about the truth of his statement, the access to vaccines or that it’s the Israeli government doing it as the government. It’s just cool to say “fucking Jews”’we can hate them publicly now

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m just going to put it out there that you might not be the No. 1 messenger to cry foul if you feel a religion is being viciously attacked.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Going to address this as a Christian with Mizrahi roots.

My grandmother's people left the Middle East when Europeans started eyeing that part of the world. T. E. Lawrence touched on the empty, broken promises made to the Mosaic people in his writing. I never really knew much about Israel growing up. The Central American part of my family, who left because, well, they didn't trust Whitey, always referred to it as "Palestine," or "Home" or "Back There" or "The Old Country." They referred to themselves as "Palestinians" and never saw any disconnect between identifying as Jewish and Palestinian.

A distant cousin hipped me to a movie called, "The Rabbi's Cat." I'll post the trailer below. It really is a good movie and it tells what has become a favorite folk tale. One of the things that doesn't show up in the trailer is Rabbi's best friend was the local Imam. They would meet over coffee and talk about their respective vocations, etc. before they ended up essentially doing a road movie with a talking cat. (I know it sounds silly. Trust me. It's good enough that I tracked down a copy to keep.) My cousin told me even though the story takes place in 20th C. Algiers, the way they lived was pretty close to the way our ancestors lived before the European incursion. This is not to say that everything was perfect back in the day, but from what I've been able to learn from people with backgrounds like mine, it seemed like they at least tried to live together.

I made an effort to explore my roots and was fairly aggressively discouraged from doing so by people in the community when I was younger. They gave me two reasons: 1.) The wrong parent was Jewish. 2.)They didn't want to be responsible for a young Christian person, let's face it, a Christian girl, "converting" since I had no right to claim the faith or ethnicity as part of my heritage.

Bringing up the tribal friction, which has become flat-out hatred, can lead to useless whataboutism. You want to point fingers? Look at the people who saw a chance to make money and fomented this in the name of the almighty dollar, pound, krugerrand, etc..

TigerVols, 2muchcoffeeman and Scout like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

For a minute thought that was the Fritz the Cat remake. Meow!

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted