1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those folks in Texas with variable-rate electricity hookups figured they were playing it smart too because how often does the price of electricity get out of control? Err’body’s a rugged individualist until the roulette ball lands on double-zero.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m glad BTE has never
    1) lived paycheck to paycheck
    2) never had anything more than a cut lip
    3) never had an underlying condition
    4) never had kids
    5) makes enough to drop cash every time he sees a doctor
    To stick it to the insurance companies. The rest of us who obviously fit under these conditions too are suckers.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Texas issues order to prevent providers from sending electric bills — The Texas Tribune

Fuck Texans. Fuck Abbott. Capitalism isn’t saving consumers from paying their debts. Texans wanted republicans to run the government and allow free markets determine wages and profits, except gas, oil and farming. They get subsidized by conservatives to make outrageous profits for nice kickbacks. They need to suffer from their bad decisions or they’ll never learn the lesson. Isn’t that why the Christian republicans kidnap children from illegal aliens, rape them and sell them? Isn’t that why poor children don’t deserve health care and education to teach their parents the lesson of personal responsibility?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Its vaccination program may be available to everyone, but the reality was that last I saw, Jews were getting vaccinated at a much higher rate than Arabs were. That was the practical reality.

I don't know if that has changed recently. My guess is that was is a combination of Arab distrust of the Israeli government and systemically discriminatory things that made the vaccine available. ... but in practicality have funneled it way more easily to Jews. Not entirely different than the fact that practically whites in the US have been getting vaccinated at a higher rate than blacks have. Even if you pull up a story demonstrating (and it's true) that the vaccine is available to everyone.

It was a funny joke. I get that a lot of Jews are very sensitive to anti-semitic sentiments, which are a very real and dangerous thing. So there is always a vigilant response to jokes about Jews.

But that joke wasn't Protocols of the Elders of Zion stuff. Israel is a Jewish state, and in practicality there is an undercurrent of discrimination against Arabs in Israeli society. Acknowledging that makes some people uncomfortable, but it's also what made the joke funny.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    lakefront likes this.
  6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I think general ignorance leads people to believe that all Israelis are Jewish and all Palestinians are Muslims. And comedians aren't necessarily going to care about nuance.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about a joke. Maybe it's offensive.

But the sad thing is, when you take away some of the semantics, there's a painful truth to what he joked about. The Israeli population has been vaccinated at a high rate, but the Palestinians have not.

Israel’s Vaccine Success Unleashes a Debate on Palestinian Inequities

And even from the ABC article linked above, "The disparities between Israel’s successful vaccination push with its own population and the Palestinians have drawn criticism from U.N. officials and rights groups and have shined a light on the inequities between rich and poor countries getting access to vaccines."

And, "Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has struggled to secure vaccines for his people. So far, he has received 2,000 doses from Israel to treat medical workers in the West Bank, and 10,000 doses from Russia."

Half of the Israeli population has received at least one dose, but only 2,000 doses to the Palestinians? That's ripe for criticism, even in the form of an awkwardly worded joke on SNL.

Mr. Sluggo and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I visited Israel, our tour company purposely went to gift shops run by the Muslim community in Bethlehem
    They said it was because the government wanted to help the Muslim merchants
    It was fascinating to see all the awning signs with Arabic on one half and Hebrew on the other

Baron Scicluna and OscarMadison like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they won't get $1.3 billion if they win the suit. ... but if you order a voting machine in 2022, it will likely come packed in something that has a patented design involving a mix of different-sized pieces of open-cell poly-foam.

HanSenSE, PCLoadLetter and dixiehack like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Virtue signaling!!!

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jesus was the worst at virtue signaling.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's easy to laugh off his coke-fueled rants but you're going to start seeing more of these, by lawmakers, with guns as backdrops.

Draft saved Draft deleted