1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to Small Town America: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 18, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They would always promote the grudge matches, which you could only see live. They were never televised. I'm sure it was to goose the crowd at the Olympic Auditorium.

maumann likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Geez, I remember when the announcer, Dick Lane, said that Danny O'Reilly, captain of the Detroit Devils, owned a pet shop in Reseda. I thought about the expense of him going to home games.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Good girl Joanie Weston vs. bad girl Ann Cavello.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

You missed the halcyon days of televised bowling. Billy Welu, who proceeded Burton, was one of the best color announcers I have ever heard. Burton was hired after Welu died at 41.

The PBA was highly rated. That is why ABC had Schenkel, who was their number one announcer, working it. If memory serves only football got higher ratings. The reason that bowling was dropped from television was not the ratings but the demographics. A lower income group followed the sport.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Same reason professional billiards has been relegated to online streaming. The PBA has at least rekindled some fire by signing a tv deal with Fox in the last year.

6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Y'all missed out last year. To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Rollergames, FS1 was showing old episodes on Saturday nights.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I got the references, but I couldn't come up with anything semi-witty to respond with.

maumann likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a sidenote to the roller derby threadjack, I don't know if this photo is posed or was live action but just imagining the skaters being thrown into that brick wall is both fascinating and horrifying.

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the lack of names for the new leagues is because MLB doesn't own those names and would have to pay to use them. Can't believe the lawyers didn't work that into the new agreement.

maumann likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd guess that's probably most of it, plus the old leagues may have debts MLB wants to keep their fingers out of.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted