1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“And there’s the ceremonial first pitch by President Biden to start the Nats’ season, and here’s the new tradition, where GOP congressmen will throw Senator Ted Cruz under an actual city bus in center field.”

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I were Ted Cruz, I wouldn't have gone to Cancun. I know it in my bones, I wouldn't have done it.

But I'm a certain kind of person - who has many, many flaws of my own - and we need to be honest: Not a lot of people - senators, captains of industry, whatever - back out of that vacation. at risk of pissing off their family, so they can loom over a power outage crisis. And looming is what he’d be doing because it’s not like there’s a switch he can flip in Amarillo.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Ted Cruz on drugs?. He must have set some kind of record for career altering (bad) decisions in a single month between his defense of Trump, bailing on his homestate during an emergency and the haircut.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

HAHA!

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's a United States senator with presidential aspirations. The unpredictability of that position has ruled his life for the last 8 years. His family is used to that.

If Donald Trump announced he was going to be holding an impromptu rally somewhere in Texas, do you think Ted Cruz would have cancelled his vacation to be there? In this case, Ted Cruz saw no personal benefit to sticking around (and that is all Ted Cruz ever thinks about).

You are right that his presence does absolutely zero for the power grid problems. A more savvy politician understands optics, though. And this is a PR gaffe that he didn't anticipate. Maybe it is meaningless and never bites him in the ass. Americans are idiots. But this is what I think the fatal flaw of Ted Cruz is. He's super bright, he's super ambitious, he'd sell his grandmother's eyeballs to get ahead, and he has no moral qualms about lying and bullshitting (he's intelligent enough where he can spin way more plausible-sounding bullshit and dishonesty than the guy he cast his lot with). But his flaw is that he is an inherently unlikeable person who often displays a huge blind spot in terms of how people are going to perceive him and his actions. And it kills him.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stil undecided if the Real World sketch on SNL was a bigger takedown of Bob Dole or The Real World. Stay strong Sen. Dole.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dwight Schrute, political image consultant.

AAA5CCEB-0864-4B70-93BE-DBE26E4F7334.jpeg

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Raphael Cruz is afraid of pissing off his family? He’s a fluff boy for the guy who slandered his wife and threatened to expose her.
    Raphy doesn’t give a shit about his fugly wife

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agree with all of it.

I may dislike Ted Cruz more than anyone in Congress. Anyone.

I just don't think that particular decision is where Cruz is an outlier. Perhaps being a dumbbell about it makes him so an outlier. I imagine there are other Senators who "got away" too, and simply did so more quietly, without a ridiculous wolfman beard, without having generated the (deserved) negative press Cruz has.

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted