1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And a far better person than Rush.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ted Cruz is so embarassed by the Texas Energy fiasco he called for Senate hearings regarding Gov. Cuomo's nursing home scandal in NY.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being real or serious, but I'll reiterate while he's healthy. Carter is a bad, bad person. He thinks he's a great humanitarian, but I can't imagine there's anyone alive who has shaken hands with more people with blood all over their own hands than him.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jimmy Carter governed as a racial progressive but he wasn’t afraid to lean on the dog whistle at election time, and more than once leaned on George Wallace to establish some credibility with the good ole boy voting bloc.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Correction.

Everybody is fucking awful. Celebrate no one.

except Peyton Manning

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

well to be fair, it was over on the Buckethead conversation

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Or maybe you can stop associating with people who either go to church or say they do.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, horseshit. If the standard here is “alive” then I give you Heinz Alfred Kissinger.

Hermes and Machine Head like this.
  9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

"Bad, bad person" seems to be going way, way too far, but like all of us, Jimmy Carter has not led a perfect life. He said Lt. Calley was a "scapegoat" following the My Lai investigation, and once said he was "proud" to be running alongside Lester Maddox, who he termed the "essence of the Democratic party".

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Just to state the obvious: Paul Harvey quite likely was a better person than Limbaugh.

The same probably could have been said for most of the schlock country singers.

I didn’t really want to hear any of them.

My irritation with Harvey was more about his intentional intermingling of news and commercial content and his ability to turn a short boring story into a long boring story.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, let’s get back to pissing on Rush Limbug.

I give you the late Molly Ivins’ seminal takedown of Rush, printed 25 years ago as the cover story of the June 1995 issue of Mother Jones.

One of the things that concerns a lot of Americans lately is the increase in plain old nastiness in our political discussion. It comes from a number of sources, but Rush Limbaugh is a major carrier.

I should explain that I am not without bias in this matter. I have been attacked by Rush Limbaugh on the air, an experience somewhat akin to being gummed by a newt. It doesn’t actually hurt, but it leaves you with slimy stuff on your ankle.

I have a correspondent named Irwin Wingo in Weatherford, Texas. Irwin and some of the leading men of the town are in the habit of meeting about 10 every morning at the Chat’n’Chew Cafe to drink coffee and discuss the state of the world. One of their number is a dittohead, a Limbaugh listener. He came in one day, plopped himself down, and said, “I think Rush is right: Racism in this country is dead. I don’t know what the niggers will find to gripe about now.”

I wouldn’t say that dittoheads, as a group, lack the ability to reason. It’s just that whenever I run across one, he seems to be at a low ebb in reasoning skills. Poor ol’ Bill Sarpalius, one of our dimmer Panhandle congressmen, was once trying to explain to a town hall meeting of his constituents that Limbaugh was wrong when he convinced his listeners that Bill Clinton’s tax package contained a tax increase on the middle class. (It increased taxes only on the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans.) A dittohead in the crowd rose to protest: “We don’t send you to Washington to make responsible decisions. We send you there to represent us.”

The kind of humor Limbaugh uses troubles me deeply, because I have spent much of my professional life making fun of politicians. I believe it is a great American tradition and should be encouraged. We should all laugh more at our elected officials—it’s good for us and good for them. So what right do I have to object because Limbaugh makes fun of different pols than I do?

I object because he consistently targets dead people, little girls, and the homeless—none of whom are in a particularly good position to answer back. Satire is a weapon, and it can be quite cruel. It has historically been the weapon of powerless people aimed at the powerful. When you use satire against powerless people, as Limbaugh does, it is not only cruel, it’s profoundly vulgar. It is like kicking a cripple.​

Enjoy.

Lyin’ Bully

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, OK then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.