1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is no fix for terrestrial radio. And as a radio guy, it sucks to say that.

Octave, Liut and maumann like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's certainly true.

Then again, the Biden fans on here were few and far between 18 months ago. He polled exactly 3.4% better than . . . Trump.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.34.16 AM.png

Presidential straw poll - August 2019

I don't think anyone on here can say that for sure --- unless somebody really did hate-listen to him every day for 30 years. Most of us know him from selected outrageous clips, which Donahue certainly provided in the link above. Rush responded by suggesting that a listener needs to give him six weeks to understand the context around which everything he was saying.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Octave and Liut like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I barely listened to him, except for a few times just for shits and giggles.

The one thing I remember that he said was that if the Fairness Doctrine returned, then he would be out of business. And I remember thinking, why would that be? Would it be because he was afraid of having an actual debate? Was he not confident in the strength of his arguments? Was he afraid that the shit he was saying wouldn’t stand up to being called out?

That basically said it all about him to me. If you want to talk shit, then be prepared and don’t be afraid to defend it and don’t be afraid to have a debate. If you are, then that says that your opinions are bullshit.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They did it to themselves. I was a huge talk radio nerd growing up as a kid (no, girls weren’t banging my door down. Thanks for asking) and that was the path I really wanted to go down...until I had a conversation with a local talk radio host in 1999 who said, “don’t bother. It’s becoming all syndicated and nothing but screaming about politics or sports. You can’t do a topical show anymore.”

20 years later and here we are. That’s why podcasts are so popular. They fill the gap radio left behind.

wicked, Octave, Liut and 2 others like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is my problem with talk radio. It's different people talking about the same stuff. 24/7. News/Sports/Talk/Politics. It's all the same.

Octave, BitterYoungMatador2 and Liut like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The FCC's decision to 1. eliminate the Fairness Doctrine in 1987 led to huge cuts in news staff, because stations no longer needed to "devote airtime to matters of public interest" and "contrasting viewpoints." 2. the 1996 Telecommunications Act allowed corporate conglomerates to buy multiple licenses in individual markets. So you've got Clear Channel and Infinity owning roughly half of all terrestrial radio stations.

AM radio was already a dying medium by the late 1970s. FM radio is essentially dead because of homogenization.

If not for car radios and traffic jams, the industry would already be obsolete.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This seems relevant:
    “It’s the single most regretful thing I’ve ever done,” he says, “because it ended up making fun of people who were dying long, painful and excruciating deaths, when they were not the target. It was a totally irresponsible thing to do.”

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In the late 1990s, between a longtime gig and graduate school, I was staying in southwest Kansas while I was repairing my parents’ home so they could sell it. There wasn’t much on the radio, but I wanted something to distract me while I was painting. The choices at many times during the day were Limbaugh, really bad commercial country music and a Spanish-language station. Paul Harvey was occasionally on the same station that aired Limbaugh. My Spanish would have gotten a bit better during that time if they didn’t talk so fast.

I swore that, one day, I would live in a place where I couldn’t get Limbaugh or Harvey on the radio. My dream has finally been fulfilled!

Octave, Tighthead and maumann like this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

And now you know ...

.... the rest of the story.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I read an article once where they were buying properties for literally pennies on the dollar. I would do the same thing if I was in their boat. There was a decent sized block of stations around here (5 FM's and 3 AM's) that for less than 5 million dollars could get you the whole wheel of cheese. Building, licenses, permits, towers, the whole thing.

maumann likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

GoodDAY!

swingline, wicked, garrow and 8 others like this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Page two!

wicked, HanSenSE, Liut and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.