1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Greetings from Duluth where it has been above zero for about four hours out of the last nine days.

maumann and TigerVols like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of the things I really hate about this cold weather is having a house built on a crawl space. Our faucets have been dripping nonstop since Saturday to - hopefully - keep the pipes from freezing.

OscarMadison, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver got to minus-14 last night, breaking a 118-year-old record low.

Got to minus-16 this morning, but not a record (minus-20 in 1880).

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Last week, Fort McMurray, Alberta was -63C with a windchill of -83C. Those folks are a hardy lot.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Massachusetts winters are always dismal, and big nor'easters and ice storms can be dangerous, but we seldom get the kind of terrifying cold you guys are talking about.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We’re in central Oklahoma on a water well. We lost our water yesterday and it took me a couple of hours to find the frozen spot. I finally tracked down to a brass manifold that holds the pressure switch/pump control. It’s in the garage, but froze anyway. A space heater fixed the problem. We hit -8 this morning and water is still flowing. I did wake up every 90 minutes through the night to flush toilets and run some water through the washing machine. All other faucets are steadily dripping. If we can get through the night, we’re good.

TigerVols and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

40 degrees and our water is off . . . thanks to a bathroom remodel. ;)

I love the added windchill numbers in weather reports like that.

"Folks, the temperature is -63C, BUT the windchill is -83C, so don't forget to bundle up!''

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Matt Brown is my oldest daughter.

Mngwa and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

FB this morning:

"Roads in North Alabama are snowy and icy and the government is telling me to stay home or I might die. But this is infringing on my FREEDOM and we need to keep the economy OPEN. I will drive the speed limit on untreated overpasses because I REFUSE to live in fear."

Lots of ice north of us. We may do the sleet and freezing rain this afternoon/evening, or we may dodge the bullet. I went and bought stuff we can eat if the power goes out. Other than that it's just sit tight for us.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So I’m working in a local outdoors store and drive a Jeep, so I’m at the store with 6-inches of snow on the roads. How unprepared are Arkansans for snow and negative wind chills? Despite a week of warnings and info from local weathermen, we are still getting about five calls every 30 minutes looking for kids’ gloves and boots. We sold out of all that stuff Saturday.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

That far north? They're idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted