1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long do you keep stuff?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Some stuff > other stuff.
    No such thing as too many fishing poles, tackle, a couple of great coolers, at least three grills, etc.

swingline likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My longtime college roommate once put it perfectly during one of our moves: "You ever notice that your stuff turns into a lot of sh_t?"

Move a lot after that and it really hits home. Which is why you try not to accumulate too much stuff ... even though you always do.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have Marie Kando's books. They will most likely not survive the current purge.

This website is a good place to start if you're really upside down in mess.
    UFYH
    I'm a fan of this guy as well: Dan Ho I have both of his books and found his Insta account.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

You're really in a jam when you're piling up shit at the same time a kid or kids are.

I submit to the assembly - pile of old sports magazines: Would you keep or dump?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you are looking to donate clothes, small household items, kitchen appliances, tools/garden tools and good books, check out scheduleapickup.org and get a truck to come to your house for free.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've taken two huge loads of clothes to two homeless shelters nearby.
    One treated me like a king. They invited me in, offered me lunch, made sure I had a pleasant visit and I knew my donation was appreciated. My "old" walking shoes were particularly well received.

Went to another one the next time, they treated me like I was a pain in the ass.

Next load? Back to the first place.

I give my former father-in-law a lot of my old books. I still keep way way way too many.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Campus For Human Development gets all of my clothes. They have a men's shelter and take things to the women and children's shelter across town as well. In fact, they ask people to bring stuff there as they think it might be safer for them to deal with donors. One day I donated an old Antonio Freeman replica jersey and spent a few minutes talking with the volunteer about how much fun it was to watch him play. Paybacks can come in unexpected ways.

Books are a whole nother thing. I catalog them, my movies, and music on a Librarything and do purges when it starts to feel oppressive.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted